• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron regal vs Noble vs Nikon Monarch (1 Viewer)

washie

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie ( you probally knew that already ) anyway I want to purchase a new pair of glasses for bird watching this fall. I will be looking at mostly migrating hawks and eagles. I am not sure to go with a 8x or 10x I do wear glasses and have read about eye relief. Money is an issue also but if need be i'll spend the 400.00 or so for the regals etc.
So i'm looking for help in choosing the best binocular for the least amount of money.
If you would be so kind to respond to [email protected] I wouuld be grateful. I'm afraid till I find the replies on here fall will be over :)

Yours Truly, Washie

washie said:
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie ( you probally knew that already ) anyway I want to purchase a new pair of glasses for bird watching this fall. I will be looking at mostly migrating hawks and eagles. I am not sure to go with a 8x or 10x I do wear glasses and have read about eye relief. Money is an issue also but if need be i'll spend the 400.00 or so for the regals etc.
So i'm looking for help in choosing the best binocular for the least amount of money.
If you would be so kind to respond to [email protected] I wouuld be grateful. I'm afraid till I find the replies on here fall will be over :)

Yours Truly, Washie

Of the three that you mention i would buy the Celestron Regal LX. The Monarchs and the Nobles are not bad in the 8x, but in the 10x...they are not quite good.
At $400, i would wait some more time and save an extra $250 and would buy a Kahles. They are half a mile above anything in their price range or bellow.

Of the three that you mention i would buy the Celestron Regal LX. The Monarchs and the Nobles are not bad in the 8x, but in the 10x...they are not quite good.

From my experience I can partially agree with that...in the case of the Monarchs. I had a 10x42 Monarch two years ago and it was optically excellent. I returned it to the store though as the central hinge really loosened up after only a year. I bought two pairs after that and both had a relatively small sweet spot in the center of the image surrounded by quite a bit of distortion. Usable but not acceptable by what I have become accustomed to. I returned both.

I have been using 8x for the hawk watches I have been on without much of a handicap but I suppose there have been times that I wanted a 10x. If you decide to go with 8x then I would go with the Monarchs as I have yet to find fault with any of that particular model in that configuration. But if you go 10x then I would defer to Otto's advice.

Whereabouts in PA are you hawkwatching?

Allentown, Pa

FrankD said:
From my experience I can partially agree with that...in the case of the Monarchs. I had a 10x42 Monarch two years ago and it was optically excellent. I returned it to the store though as the central hinge really loosened up after only a year. I bought two pairs after that and both had a relatively small sweet spot in the center of the image surrounded by quite a bit of distortion. Usable but not acceptable by what I have become accustomed to. I returned both.

I have been using 8x for the hawk watches I have been on without much of a handicap but I suppose there have been times that I wanted a 10x. If you decide to go with 8x then I would go with the Monarchs as I have yet to find fault with any of that particular model in that configuration. But if you go 10x then I would defer to Otto's advice.

Whereabouts in PA are you hawkwatching?

Hello, and thanks for responding. I do most of my watching from Bake Oven knob. Its east of hawk mountain by about 10 miles I would guess.

Hello, and thanks for responding. I do most of my watching from Bake Oven knob. Its east of hawk mountain by about 10 miles I would guess.

Ha! I live within sight of Bake Oven Knob and was planning on possibly heading up there with the Lehigh Valley Audubon Society's excursion this upcoming Saturday. It was either that or that bird walk and seminar up at Wind Gap. Any chance you are heading to either? If so then I would be more than happy to let you try some of my 8x bins out. Sorry, I haven't found a 10x that I really like yet so I cannot help you there.

Small world, huh? [:)]

Last edited:
FrankD said:
Ha! I live within sight of Bake Oven Knob and was planning on possibly heading up there with the Lehigh Valley Audubon Society's excursion this upcoming Saturday. It was either that or that bird walk and seminar up at Wind Gap. Any chance you are heading to either? If so then I would be more than happy to let you try some of my 8x bins out. Sorry, I haven't found a 10x that I really like yet so I cannot help you there.

Hmmmm I'd like to go to bake oven sat. But I’m suppose to work sat. I'll have to see if I can take a vacation day. I'm sure they’ll like that lol.
From some of the examples I have seen from 8x to 10x it doesn't look like that big of difference. What do you feel is more important, field of view or magnification? I’m not sure what to think and many stores in our area do not have a large assortment. I was to Dan’s today they had the leica’s ( to pricey for me.) And Cabelas does not sell the Celestron regals. I looked at the Kahles, they are pricey also. I can hardly justify 400 let alone 600 +
Is there really a big difference between 100 and 400 dollar glasses.? Well enuff for now. Thanks and I’m sure we will bump elbows at bake oven, if not sat sometime this fall. I’ll let you know about Sat.

Take care, Ron

FrankD said:

Bake Oven Knob is where I saw three SE 8X32's in less than an hour (5 total counting our two). SE's are in use.

I'll be at Bake Oven this weekend and, hopefully, the weather will bring us Broadwings. Last year, more than a thousand BW's passed by on 9/15...we missed the spectacle by a mere few hours!

Happy birding.

Thanks

Otto McDiesel said:
At $400, i would wait some more time and save an extra $250 and would buy a Kahles. They are half a mile above anything in their price range or bellow.

Thanks for the advice Otto. I looked the Kahles up. I think maybe the wife will take aim at me if I spend that much on glasses. < smile > Take Care, And Thanks, Washie

John Traynor said:
Bake Oven Knob is where I saw three SE 8X32's in less than an hour (5 total counting our two). SE's are in use.

I'll be at Bake Oven this weekend and, hopefully, the weather will bring us Broadwings. Last year, more than a thousand BW's passed by on 9/15...we missed the spectacle by a mere few hours!

Happy birding.

SE??? I'm a newbie. Remember? <S>

washie said:
Hmmmm I'd like to go to bake oven sat. But I’m suppose to work sat. I'll have to see if I can take a vacation day. I'm sure they’ll like that lol.
From some of the examples I have seen from 8x to 10x it doesn't look like that big of difference. What do you feel is more important, field of view or magnification? I’m not sure what to think and many stores in our area do not have a large assortment. I was to Dan’s today they had the leica’s ( to pricey for me.) And Cabelas does not sell the Celestron regals. I looked at the Kahles, they are pricey also. I can hardly justify 400 let alone 600 +
Is there really a big difference between 100 and 400 dollar glasses.? Well enuff for now. Thanks and I’m sure we will bump elbows at bake oven, if not sat sometime this fall. I’ll let you know about Sat.

Take care, Ron

Ron,

If you compare identical model 8X and 10X glasses you should clearly see a larger image delivered by 10X magnification. When you compare across models, however, your opinion can be skewed by subtle differences having nothing to do with magnification. Coatings, balance, sweet spot, etc. all affect our perception of image size and a particular 10X may not deliver more to the eye than a particularly nice 8X. I enjoyed using a 10X50 porro for many years, but I can no longer get comfortable with 10X for long periods of time. My eyes don’t focus as quickly anymore so chasing a moving 10X exit pupil is just too much work; thankfully, 8X/7X are still enjoyable. In the future, I’ll probably want true image stabilization with 12X or more magnification.

Yes, most $100 bins are different than $400 bins. Under $400 I’d definitely go for the best porro I could find and forget about waterproofing, etc. Eagle Optics sells the Swift Audubon 8.5X44 for $259 and the view through that bin is as good as many thousand dollar roofs. It’s not perfect, but for the price it’s simply outstanding. The same can be said for the Nikon EII 8X30. Unfortunately, it’s hard to find these two bins in local stores!

John

PS
The SE I mentioned is Nikon’s SE 8X32 porro prism and the one I use consistently delivers the finest images I’ve ever seen through a binocular.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?dept=1&type=19&purch=1&pid=782

Eagle Optics also sells their own premium brand of "Platinum" roof prism binoculars. They are similar to the Celestrons and come with 32mm and 42mm and larger objectives in 6, 8 and 10 powers. The 6 x 32's are marvelous for brushy conditions and close up work. I take them fly fishing with me to look at insects on the water. I've also used them at Hawk Mountain without complaints. Their are a great little "niche" binocular! I've also had opportunity to use the 10x32's but these aren't too impressive. My Nikon 10 x 35 E's are vastly superior. Of course, you would expect that from a top of the line Porro Prism. They have a wide 7 degree field of view. If you are considering spending $400.00 for a 10X Bin give a close look at the Nikon 10x35E while they are still available. You should be able to get them from Eagle or Christophers. They are better than any $400.00 roof prism on the market.

Last edited:

For starters, Dan's and Cabelas are really the only two decent optics stores in the area. I haven't been in Dan's for years though I hit Cabelas quite regularly. You can find some really great bargains in their bargain cave if you know what to look for. There were two pairs of Bushnell Legends...8x42 and 10x42 in there the last time I checked and they were both listed at well under the typical advertised price.

Also, in regard to the Regals, I do not know where I got the impression from, betterviewdesired.com maybe, that the Regals were very similar to the Leupold Wind River Olympics in construction and performance. I could be totally mistaken on that though. Cabelas does carry the various Wind River lines. The 8x42 Olympic is right around $330 if memory serves while the 10x50 is closer to $380. If it means anything I thought the 10x50 Olympic was probably the brightest of any of the 10x "under $500" binos I checked out there a week or so back.

There was also a Wild Bird Unlimited store somewhere on Tilghman Street in Allentown and I think they carry the Eagle Optics models if I remember correctly. I have not been there myself but I have scrutinized their website

I think John summed up 8x versus 10x very nicely. I have found that I tend to prefer 8x as it give a very good compromise in terms of size of image versus field of view. 7x provides just a tad too small of an image for me in many situations. 10x typically has too narrow of a field of view on most of the mid and low priced models. Again though that is just me. You may be totally different.

As for further suggestions on binos....if you go the porro route then take a look at the Nikon Action EX series of binos. The 7x35 is though very highly of though I would lean more towards the 8x40 or 10x50 for your intended usage. Personally I think the 8x42 Monarch would probably be the best choice in your price range for a variety of different birding applications. If, however, you are looking for a bino strictly for hawk watching then a 10x42 or 10x50 would probably be the way to go.

Maybe we will hook up on Bake Oven at some point. I haven't been up there to Hawk watch yet as I typically head up to Hawk mountain. Hopefully that will change on Saturday morning.

Speaking of which.....

John,

Maybe I will see you up there. I will probably only be there until around 11 or 12 on Saturday morning as other committments will keep me from staying longer. I plan on bringing both of the LXs and the SE along to see which I prefer more for that type of birding. Truth be told, I have a feeling that I am going to want to keep all three. ;O)

I know there are a few on here that visit bake oven. I was wondering if one time is better than the other eg mornings vs afternoons vs evenings. LOL usually the best time is right after i leave or right before I get there. Maybe I'll hike up early to see a sunrise.

As far as the original question on which bins to purchase. I went to B&H on Sunday and after looking through the Kahles, Nikon monarchs and regal lx's I chose the regal lx's Time will tell if I made the right choice. I should have them tuesday or wed.

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys at the knob. Take care, Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back