• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cleaning hummingbird feeder's? (1 Viewer)

Abbygirl

How do you go about cleaning hummingbird feeder's? I'm about to put mine back up and I know i'm not to use soap. I found this one website, http://www.hummingbirds.net/feeders.html#cleaning But what they said seemed like too much to me for one thing and the hummingbird feeder isn't that big. http://www.amazon.com/Aspects-Hummingbird-Hummzinger-Feeder-feeding/dp/B0006A38J4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/104-2861806-1519169?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1179095711&sr=8-2

So i'm curious to know how much to really clean the feeder with the bleach solution with and how would you clean your hummingbird feeder with? Thank you.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is "proper" or not, but I use a little dish soap every few times I wash out my feeders, especially if black mold starts to grow. I use a little toothbrush and elbow grease most of the time. If you're going to use bleach I would dilute it A LOT and rinse very well. I always rinse with fresh water more times than I think is needed, just to make sure I get any residue out.

I usually just rinse them out, but I try to have a regular rotation of the feeders through the hanging spots and into the dishwasher. So, every change session, at least one of them goes to the dishwasher. I'm using the Dr. JB's Clean Feeders, which are dishwasher safe and easy to clean. Previously I used HummZingers, which are even easier to clean.

If you are still using a bottle type feeder, I highly recommend getting a saucer type instead because they are 1000 times easier to clean. You don't have to worry about the nectar dripping out either.

be careful on some of the saucer type feeders,, some have hung up their bill and could not get free and they have been killed,,

for cleaning I use a shot of regular bleach in all my feeders when they start showing a little black fungus,, after scrubing and cleaning the feed holes with pipe stems cleaners, I then rinse them completly until there is no smell of the bleach,, have been doing it that way for years,,

check this site out,, one of the better Hummy ones,,

http://www.hummingbirds.net/

enjoy,,

be careful on some of the saucer type feeders,, some have hung up their bill and could not get free and they have been killed,,

There was a problem with the Best 1 feeder (which, however, uses an inverted bottle), but it has been fixed in recent production by adding an additional rail, so they can't fall through.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back