• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short Introduction and Mockingbird question (1 Viewer)

looneybird

Hello. My name is Lynn and I live with my family in a suburb of Cincinnati. DH and I have been married almost 9 years and have two children (boy/girl twins) who are 4 1/2 years old. We also have 2 rescued Siamese cats; a chocolate point and a blue cream tortie point, as well as a 10 year old rescued greyhound and a 10 year old Newfoundland dog.

A few years ago I began to get interested in watching the birds here in my yard. I had no idea there were so many beautiful birds! My favorite of all is the tufted titmouse. I also can't resist any type of woodpecker... even though they like to eat our house at times!

Common here on a daily basis are (just off the top of my head): Black capped (possibly Carolina) chickadees, many types of Sparrows, Cardinals, Starlings, Gold Finches, Blue Jays, Common House Finch (haven't seen one in a while), Robins (in the warmer weather, of course), Red Bellied Woodpeckers, Downey Woodpeckers and Pileated Woodpeckers (although they never come to the feeders... probably way too big). *AND* Mockingbirds...

Which brings me to the Mockingbird, which I have always loved. However, it seems that one in particular has recently decided to ruin my birdwatching experience! He will perch him/herself on top of the shepherds hook that I have hanging in my back yard. This hook holds my big birdfeeder which is filled with songbird mix, a large seed/peanut brick and 3 small suet cages. Sometimes he will eat, and others he/she will simply sit on top the hook and chase and bully the other birds away! He'll disappear for a bit, but as soon as someone else comes to eat, he swoops in. He's starting to irritate me :C LOL!

Anyone have similar experience with this beautiful, but possessive bird? Any suggestions to keep him from doing this? I thought about greasing the hook... because the squirrels are always invading the feeders too, but DH says it won't work.

Sincerely,

Lynn

Hi Lynn - welcome to BirdForum. I don't know the answer to your question - hope someone else does as it is an interesting one. Sounds like "your" mockingbird thinks he has found a good thing. Maybe more feeders? Barbara

Hi Lynn,
Welcome!
It sounds like your mockingbird is showing behavior of someone trying to impress the ladies around. It may stop once it has found a mate. Who knows? Someone else might come along and know more about it. Barbara had a good idea with the more feeders. Place one or two more on the other side of the house if you can.
Greasing a feeder pole hardly ever works to prevent squirrels or birds from feeding. There are a number of things to keep squirrels away that work relatively well. If you are interested, I am sure everyone would be happy to share what has worked for them.
Oh if you are able to place feeders somewhere else, make them something that the Mockingbird can't get into or doesn't want to get into. I imagine once spring comes around your friend might find other things to occupy its time. I hope. :h?:
Elizabeth

Hi Lynn and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

This is a very common trait of the Mockingbird. Most especially during the winter months when their natural food sources, i.e. bugs, berries, etc have been exhausted. Usually the arrival of Robins and Waxwings hasten their shortages, at least around here. I have had fairly good luck with keeping a feeder in the front of the house for the Mockers and a couple of pine cones drenched in peanut butter and rolled in seed and that, *knocking on wood* has kept the mockers happy in the front while the rest of my songbirds are pretty much left alone in the back... well except for the now tryrannical Yellow-rumps who are guarding all my suet feeders. It should be short lived so try to be patient. :)

If the hook is the highest place to sit on, they'll sit there. Adding some feeders should do the trick. Adding some taller things to sit on might also help. They love to be at the very tippy-top of things. If all goes well, he will reward you with lovely singing in a few weeks.

Hey Looney Bird Lynn,

Good advise in the other post. If food is tough to come by, they can be bullies if they have to. It won't last though. With mating season and your winter will be over in about a month. I'd get another feeder though.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back