• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fracking banned in UK because of earthquake fears. (1 Viewer)

The tories are wanting to target 'northern labour seats' where they think there is also a strong pro-brexit vote that they can win over with a few sops like this. They'll lie through their teeth to try and get some of those seats. Worth remembering too, a lot of the more rural / urban fringe constituencies where the fracking has been happening are marginal or already tory, not solid labour. If the tories succeed, you can expect this ban on fracking to be reversed very soon after. Don't forget the tories have just OK'd a new coal mine in Cumbria - they have no regard for cutting CO₂ emissions.

Breaking news from Sky News. Fracking banned in UK because of Earthquake fears. At least temporally!
Ian.

Not actually banned. They have done what the devolved administrations have done and placed a moratorium on fracking (ie, a temporary suspension of the activity). Choosing this avoids the fracking companies being able to challenge an outright ban through the courts. A moratorium can be put in place as a holding option while further evidence is gathered and consultation carried out. Some opponents of fracking see this as a bit of a sell-out as the practice has not been "outlawed" and can easily be re-instated without going through the process of enacting new legislation. However, it does stop fracking for now at least and who knows for how long?

Lot of labour voters in those fracking areas. Not too much fracking going on in Hampshire

A lot of the protesters are middle class NIMBYS from what I've seen so there weould be few Labour votes there me thinks?

I predict that this thread will get moved to RF.....;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back