• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeding friendly birds that visit. (1 Viewer)

Kildale

Nature Guy
Canada
I have a low gate going down to the garden from the sun deck. I can open a window and place food on it, or better still, hold some food. I have four species that come to my hand held snacks.

Attachments

• 01 fox sarrow.jpg
    01 fox sarrow.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 02 chickadee.jpg
    02 chickadee.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 02 kinglet.jpg
    02 kinglet.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 03 a nuthatch.jpg
    03 a nuthatch.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 85
Very nice. Chickadees will do that here with only a little coaxing, but where I live taming the other species in a similar fashion would involve risking the hand (and more) to frostbite and freezing!

How great, because has you know I live in a town centre and the only bird I get too feed from my hand is a feral pigeon lol, still nice but id love even one of these, did you get my last pm because your the kind of guy to reply straight away pal. ;)

Damian

I'll have to give that a go, the birds are definitely getting used to us walking by since we put in the new feeding station, time to up my game

I recall reading about a family that put up a seated scarecrow figure, made with one gloved hand extended, near their feeders and then seed was place on the glove. Once the birds got used to it (I would think you would want to bring it closer by stages), the people would put on the same clothing and take the scarecrow's place. That way they had every bird species that visited eating out of their hands. Not quite the same as having the birds doing it sans disguise, but they thought they had a valuable source of entertainment there.

I have a couple of them come right up to the window and wait for me to open it. One, a fox sparrow, if he is in the area he comes along the gate when I call. I do enjoy the fact that they trust me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back