• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2019 (2 Viewers)

I thought Olaf got off to a great start in 2016, and he did, but he ended January that year with 405, which could well have been a record at the time. Big Year strategies continue to evolve!

Joe

Well the Stolls, plus Alan Troyer & Flynn Biter have passed 500 with a day to spare.

Have any of them declared their intention for 2020?

No idea of their success on Code 3 and above, but they have certainly seen a good number of good birds

Should they do one this year, would this be the second or third time the Stolls would have done a big year?

At some point one wonders just how many international birding trips that money could produce...

Second time. The thing about the 500 species is that, even if there aren't a ton of coded birds (I don't know that there aren't) we've watched Big Year birders spend a bunch of time running around to clean things up. Sometimes they've missed the chance to chase great birds because they're making another Arizona run for Ruddy Ground Dove (for example). Could be a very interesting strategy, and I've always thought that prior Big Year experience is very beneficial.
Joe

I just read my latest Birding magazine and realized I had a touch of clean-up to do. The Ground-Doves are now Ground Doves, and Great-winged Petrel was split; the ABA version is Gray-faced Petrel. I'm attaching the revised lists (four to this post and the other four to the next); that should hold us until it's time for the 2020 fun and frolic.
Joe

Attachments

• ABABigYears2019.xlsx
    138.9 KB · Views: 27
  • ABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    618.9 KB · Views: 26
  • ContinentalBigYears2019.xlsx
    179.6 KB · Views: 22
  • ContinentalBigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    666.1 KB · Views: 23
...and here are the US and Lower 48 sheets.
Joe

Attachments

• USBigYears2019.xlsx
    138.9 KB · Views: 23
  • USBigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    620.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Lower48BigYears2019.xlsx
    101.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Lower48BigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    97.8 KB · Views: 31
Should they do one this year, would this be the second or third time the Stolls would have done a big year?

At some point one wonders just how many international birding trips that money could produce...

Yes, but the honing of process that previous experience brings always produces that temptation to say "Yes but this time I could really nail it...." :t:

JOhn

A mid-year update (and likely the final one) based on the recent ABA update. Pallas's Grasshopper-Warbler was accepted (pleasing John Weigel and the Deans, I'm sure!), and no action was taken on House Crow and Great White Pelican. I've removed them from the provisionals list. They can always be added in if need be. Mexican Duck will only count for those doing a 2020 Big Year, and anyone doing a 2020 Big Year can count Northwestern Crow (but not after this year). I'll attach the sheets in two posts (the limit is five attachments).
I hope all is well with everyone; I do miss the ongoing conversation!
Joe

Attachments

• ABABigYears2019.xlsx
    139 KB · Views: 12
  • ABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    622.6 KB · Views: 5
  • ContinentalBigYears2019.xlsx
    180.2 KB · Views: 6
  • ContinentalBigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    667.9 KB · Views: 7
...and the second part.

Joe

Attachments

• Contiguous48BigYears2019.xlsx
    101.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Contiguous48BigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    97.9 KB · Views: 6
  • USBigYears2019.xlsx
    139 KB · Views: 10
  • USBigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    620 KB · Views: 6
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back