• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (1 Viewer)

Not wishing to gloat Ken but I have breeding Linnet,and Yellowhammer in a 'double hedge' adjacent the garden. This type of hedge was to prevent snow drifting (in the old days) but now it's where my surface water drains, it is some 12 feet thick in total so ideal for nesting birds. I installed a small preformed pond adjacent my lean-to (poor mans conservatory) which the surface water drains in to and many species of birds utilize this, thats why I was able to get the GP shot. Contrary to popular belief Linnets do visit bird feeders, as 'mine' do daily for sunflower hearts.
View attachment 725554

I don’t think investing in sunflower hearts will draw in any linnets Papa, although 60 years ago it might have, and perhaps a good number of other attendant species that are no longer occurring in the region. :-C

I don’t think investing in sunflower hearts will draw in any linnets Papa, although 60 years ago it might have, and perhaps a good number of other attendant species that are no longer occurring in the region. :-C

Yep it's 'horses for courses' Ken and I have noticed the changes over the years. Some 25 years ago Lesser peckers were in decent numbers locally now they're like 'hens teeth', Corn Bunts are now extinct (also probably in the county) and last Cuckoo I had was in 1988, on the plus side Willow Tits are holding their own.
My nearest neighbour is 100 yards away and I have extended views in every direction, folks think it's idyllic viewing open countryside but pasture land and monoculture farming doesn't bode well for the variation of bird species. Yes I have my 'specialities' but with no water courses in the area passage is a bit grim hence my annual 'low list' of some 65 species

A bright morning after yesterday's grisly wetness - good for the garden I suppose - anyway something else good for the garden (list) this morning:

60. Kingfisher One calling later seen from bathroom window shooting along the brook.

Some gymnastics on the rim of the bath to look out of the window, well before the school opens beyond the brook thank goodness!

John

Yep it's 'horses for courses' Ken and I have noticed the changes over the years. Some 25 years ago Lesser peckers were in decent numbers locally now they're like 'hens teeth', Corn Bunts are now extinct (also probably in the county) and last Cuckoo I had was in 1988, on the plus side Willow Tits are holding their own.
My nearest neighbour is 100 yards away and I have extended views in every direction, folks think it's idyllic viewing open countryside but pasture land and monoculture farming doesn't bode well for the variation of bird species. Yes I have my 'specialities' but with no water courses in the area passage is a bit grim hence my annual 'low list' of some 65 species

Not wishing to get any inverted kudos Papa, I think the attrition rate has been worse and is still continuing in the South. Sixty years ago circa and within 300m from my current back gate- Red-backed Shrike, Turtle Dove, Linnet, Skylark, Yellow Bunting, Reed Bunting, Cuckoo, Common Whitethroat, Marsh Tit, Willow Tit, Spot.Fly.,Common Redstart, Tree Pipit, Willow Warbler, Greenfinch, Hawfinch and Bullfinch all bred! No prizes for guessing what’s happened to those....:t:

Last edited:
Not wishing to get any inverted kudos Papa, I think the attrition rate has been worse and is still continuing in the South. Sixty years ago circa and within 300m from my current back gate- Red-backed Shrike, Turtle Dove, Linnet, Skylark, Yellow Bunting, Reed Bunting, Cuckoo, Common Whitethroat, Marsh Tit, Willow Tit, Spot.Fly.,Common Redstart, Tree Pipit, Willow Warbler, Hawfinch and Bullfinch all bred! No prizes for guessing what’s happened to those....:t:

I'm the other side of London to you but I was surprised to see Common Whitethroat on the list as they still seem numerous in suitable habitat- I counted over 20 on my local patch on Sunday. Still a few pairs of Reed Bunting, Skylark & Linnet there too. Bullfinch seems to be declining in the last couple of years but occasionally bump into a pair.

For the first time in 4 years there was a singing Willow Warbler. Also had Cuckoo the last 3 seasons, though undoubtedly scarce now.

On the plus side 6 species of raptor (Hobby seasonal) regularly encountered & Little Egret. Cormorant more common as are a variety of feral species like wildfowl & Ring-necked Parakeets.

I'm the other side of London to you but I was surprised to see Common Whitethroat on the list as they still seem numerous in suitable habitat- I counted over 20 on my local patch on Sunday. Still a few pairs of Reed Bunting, Skylark & Linnet there too. Bullfinch seems to be declining in the last couple of years but occasionally bump into a pair.

For the first time in 4 years there was a singing Willow Warbler. Also had Cuckoo the last 3 seasons, though undoubtedly scarce now.

On the plus side 6 species of raptor (Hobby seasonal) regularly encountered & Little Egret. Cormorant more common as are a variety of feral species like wildfowl & Ring-necked Parakeets.

I was referring mainly to an area of gorse scrub/birch a “generous” stones throw from my garden which held most of the said species. Yes Common Whitethroat are present in good numbers elsewhere, albeit apart from Blackcap, virtually all other Summer visitors are to a greater or lesser extent, appear to be mostly in decline.

Last edited:
An other species almost as rare as Linnet:

#60. Ring-necked Pheasant - I think this must be same female than last years only observation. I haven't seen - or heard - male for years in our neighborhood. So probably at some point it will be the last time after which I will no longer get garden tick from Pheasant. :-C

A bright morning after yesterday's grisly wetness - good for the garden I suppose - anyway something else good for the garden (list) this morning:

60. Kingfisher One calling later seen from bathroom window shooting along the brook.

Some gymnastics on the rim of the bath to look out of the window, well before the school opens beyond the brook thank goodness!

John

Had a nano second silhouetted black dart (late January) at dusk, arrowing through the canopy following the course of the river beneath. I didn’t tick it at the time thinking I might get better technicolour views later in the year, may or may not have been a good decision. :eek!:

However, can appreciate your risks both physical and political, I suspect this will be one of your more memorable garden year ticks. :t:

We're really starting to hit peak spring migration here now. Here are the latest additions, one from last evening and the rest from this morning.

80. American Bittern (Pennsylvania lifer, only my second ever!)
81. Indigo Bunting
82. Eastern Kingbird
83. Yellow Warbler
84. Baltimore Oriole
85. Bobolink
86. Scarlet Tanager

All of these were flyovers, except that I heard the Yellow Warbler sing later, too. I was absolutely thrilled to see the bittern just after sunset yesterday, picking it up with the naked eye but getting distant looks in the binoculars, too!

This morning had a great general migrant flight! Highlights were 26 Common Loons, 2 yellowlegs sp (either would be new yard bird...), another late pipit (3rd yard record), 4 late Rusty Blackbirds, over 200 Red-winged Blackbirds, 81(!) Yellow-rumped Warblers, and 63 unidentified warblers. A loon photo is below.

Attachments

• COLO_4:29:20.jpg
    COLO_4:29:20.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 27
Not wishing to get any inverted kudos Papa, I think the attrition rate has been worse and is still continuing in the South. Sixty years ago circa and within 300m from my current back gate- Red-backed Shrike, Turtle Dove, Linnet, Skylark, Yellow Bunting, Reed Bunting, Cuckoo, Common Whitethroat, Marsh Tit, Willow Tit, Spot.Fly.,Common Redstart, Tree Pipit, Willow Warbler, Greenfinch, Hawfinch and Bullfinch all bred! No prizes for guessing what’s happened to those....:t:

Wouldn't disagree with the decline in certain species generally Ken.locally it's farmland species that are suffering so my object is to 'assist' these. I attest it to modern farming methods and the 'garden mentality' of organisations especially, in my experience, the local councils hence my consentration on feeding (25 kg a week of ground seed alone) and nesting sites. A great disappointment was the Tree Sparrows when in 2018 I had 3 pairs breed in nestboxes and the total autumn flock exceeded 20 but they disappeared 'overnight'. no idea why, so only have 2 prime species now (Yellowhammer and
Grey Partrige) but I'll keep plugging away while able

Papa It appears that for birders of a certain age...lamenting the past is very much to the fore. At least we can say that in “our day” the avian tapestry was somewhat richer!...keep feeding those Partridge and Yellowhammers. :t:

Regarding incoming migrants...a roof creasing Hobby (skinny Peregrine ;)) at 8.25 was about on time...they’re on their way H! no.76. :t:

With strong winds today, birds were low and that helped me confirm a low flyover

87. Northern Waterthrush (new yard bird)

I've been on quite the run this spring. Things should quiet down for a couple days as a cold from rips through, but Saturday night and Sunday morning might be off to the races again.

Last edited:
Celibate coelebs? And 100 up!

12 Chaffinch feeding here today, 11 of them male, in winter a ratio like that would not be unusual but I wonder, at this time of year does it mean there are 11 females on eggs not too far away? Or are migration watchpoints still seeing Chaffinch migration? Answers on a postcard (remember them?) please.
I'm proud and embarassed in equal measure to announce that I have reached 100 species for the Garden List here:t::eek!:
On checking earlier to see how many species I've seen since confinement began on 16 March I realised that I had never added Grey Wagtail to the Garden life list back in 2018 (they nest less than 1km away but rarely fly past the house and that individual remains the only one up to now). Short-toed Treecreeper on 1 April was therefore the one that brought up the ton!

With strong winds today, birds were low and that helped me confirm a low flyover

87. Northern Waterthrush (new yard bird)

I've been on quite the run next spring. Things should quiet down for a couple days as a cold from rips through, but Saturday night and Sunday morning might be off to the races again.

That’s six (by my reckoning) “new” yard birds birdmeister!...that’s one more than moi!
Will have to have words with the organisers, this needs serious scrutiny....:eek!:;)

That’s six (by my reckoning) “new” yard birds birdmeister!...that’s one more than moi!
Will have to have words with the organisers, this needs serious scrutiny....:eek!:;)

Yes Ken, it's really been a perfect storm this year! I'm one away from last year's 88, which was a year list record. I still haven't gotten a catbird or hummingbird yet. Dare I say, there's room for more...:eat:

And Richard, a fine congratulations on your triple digits accomplishment, "armchair" or otherwise!

Yes Ken, it's really been a perfect storm this year! I'm one away from last year's 88, which was a year list record. I still haven't gotten a catbird or hummingbird yet. Dare I say, there's room for more...:eat:

And Richard, a fine congratulations on your triple digits accomplishment, "armchair" or otherwise!

Just to echo birdmeister Richard....welcome to the ton up club. :t:

Having been sat on a conference call in the garden, the heavens opened and four waders wheeled into view. A bit of a soaking & a picture of a Whimbrel arse disappearing:-

64 Whimbrel 30 April 2020

Garden lockdown list moves to 61 with 57 seen, 42 photographed & 4 heard only. Pic of Whimbrel attached & more award winning recent garden photos - Kestrel, Sand Martin, House Martin & Swift.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Whimbrel 004.JPG
    Whimbrel 004.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Kestrel 001.jpg
    Kestrel 001.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Sand Martin 001.jpg
    Sand Martin 001.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 25
  • House Martin 003.JPG
    House Martin 003.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Swift 001.JPG
    Swift 001.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back