• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Good Day (1 Viewer)

I spent the afternoon up at the National Refuge in Belle Fourche South Dakota. I checked off 3 new birds. Upland Sandpiper. Sharped Tailed Grouse and the Western Meadowlark. I also got very close to a Spotted Sandpiper.

The highlight for me was the Western Meadowlark. I had been seeing many Eastern Meadowlarks over the past 3 weeks. I posed a question here on the forum about how to distinguish the 2. By song. He was perched up high in a meadow and I had him in the binocs crystal clear and I was noticing that I thought his cheek was lighter in color than the eastern bird. Then I realized his song was much different. He wasn't singing like the eastern bird. Roger Tory describes a double Chupp and that's all he was singing. Chuup chupp. Chupp. That locked it up for me. I was so happy.

This was the first bird that I used the song, or chatter, to identify the bird. I have never checked a bird off going on song alone. It's a rule of my own.... Ya gotta see it with the eye.

And I have to say.... The Sharp Tailed Grouse was a good find for me too. Not to mention the Upland Sandpiper. So ya, I had a great day. What will tomorrow bring.??

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back