• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FL From Hollywood to Merritt Island (1 Viewer)

Finbirder

Hi!

I am Currently in Hollywood and will be staying here for one day, then drive north to Merrit Island for two days and drive back. I would like to know your suggestions what would be the most productive places in the area and between these places for birding at the moment. I am planning to have a couple of stops on the way but dont really know where would be best to stop.

Only thing I have planned is to visit Merrit Island. I am tavelling with family so places should be quite easy accessible. Today I visited Anne Kolbs but there weren't much to see birdwise. All info highly appreciated, thanks! I am interested in all American species that cannot be seen in Europe.

-Finbirder

I am not well versed on what birds are available on both sides of 'the pond' so I can't advise from that perspective, but I was in Merritt Island/Daytona Beach area in late Feb early March. Do visit OPUS for locations. You will find some reviews for Merritt. Personally, I enjoyed Tosohatchee reserve for a change of pace, but given that it was forest, it was a little harder to bird on my own. The best, however, I thought was Orlando Wetlands. It's about an hour from Titusville (Merritt Island's main reserve) on the road to Orlando, but nothing like Orlando. It is open (so hot), but many water areas -limpkin, Black bellied Whistling Duck, everything from anhingas to wrens. I am sure there will be activity there.
When at Merritt, do check out the walk area around the Tourist Centre - Painted Bunting were nesting in the area - but quite shy with all the photographic lenses pointing at the area, so one needs to be patient. Driver there first to get some maps. Ask about birding 'now' for the area. When I was there, there were a few loops around dikes that were between the Visitor's centre and bridge, but not easy to find or navigate. Go in a ways. Here is were I we found reddish egrets. So fun to watch dance around. There is a better bird route which comes with a small fee. you can't get lost on that one. Roseate Spoonbills, egrets, rails, we even saw a pygmy rattlesnake. There was 2 bald eagle nests, but not sure whether it nesting time or not.
The US has these great local chapters of the Audubon Society and they are helpful. Guests can attend their field trips, often for free. I checked, and though there really isn't any field trips, the local chapter to Merritt does have birding hotspots listed on their site: http://spacecoastaudubon.org
Viera Wetlands is fairly close to Titusville. It is a drive route. It is a series of sewage ponds. When I was there, the vegetation on the water and beside made it hard to see some of the birds, but if short of time it would be a change. I don't think I saw anything new on that outing. People bird the park just at the land side of the bridge to Cape Canaveral and Merritt Island. You can get in under the bridge as well, park and see what might be around for gulls, cormorants, etc. On the wires before the bridge are several different doves.
Last reference is to the Florida Birding Trail website - only down side is trying to narrow down where the sites are closest to you, but there is an entire network of birding locales in Florida.
So many choices, so little time. Enjoy.

Many thanks for your reply! I have been checking the Florida birding trail site to find out places between Hollywood and Merritt. There seems to be quite a lot of options but not sure what would be best this time of yrar.

I had 6 days at the Keys and visited many places there from the trail. Many of them were nice places but not much birds. So far only 64 species on this trip from Florida but there's still days left to explore :)

Do you use e-bird at all? ebird(dot)org. When I go to a new place, I check for 'hotspots' and when I find the spot, it opens to the latest bird sightings that people have entered, but I find the Bar Charts to be more useful as they show what is seen for a certain time of the year. For example, open ebird, then use 'explore data' tab, then choose 'Explore Hotspots'. A world map pops up. I tend to use a location rather than a named hotspot, so maybe 'Vero Beach'. It drills down and red or blue 'pins' appear on hotspots. Click on the pin to get the name and if it is one of interest, you can check the bar chart.
Here's the bar chart for Orlando Wetlands.....http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?cmd=decisionPage&getLocations=hotspots&hotspots=L452007&yr=all&m=
Also, for interest's sake, Viera Wetlands bar chart
http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?cmd=decisionPage&getLocations=hotspots&hotspots=L376186&yr=all&m=

I am too new so not able to edit OPUS yet, but if you decide to go to Viera, it is free, but you need to stop in at the office to sign in and then sign out. They want to keep tabs on people in the area as you have to drive through some of the 'business' part of the plant.

I didn't realize how few birds (relatively speaking ) were in Florida at this time of the year, but your 64 is not a bad start - particularly if a lot of Lifers.

Thanks for the hint, I have to check the eBird site also!

Probably there are lots more birds available in FL than my 64 species but some of the visited ares have been quite empty of birds, especially forests and mangroves. I am surprised how much there are vultures and raptors though! I've got 29 lifers (5 from Bahamas) and my U.S. List is 135 so there are still lots of new birds to see for me.

Excellent! Yes, eBird is definitely a great resource for finding what is around when. Not sure how well it works on a phone, and it sort of bogs down on a tablet, because the map is big, but I like it on my full PC. Thee is a free phone app, but I haven't explored it all for this sort of data exploration.

I'm a volunteer at Orlando Wetlands Park and the compiler of the Audubon CBC that includes the OWP property, and on Sunday, 101 species were observed in that area.
Some notable Florida birds that can be found in the park include Purple Gallinule, Limpkin, Painted Bunting, Sandhill Cranes. Check e-bird - there are some continuing rarities - Canvasback, Bufflehead, Black-necked Stilt, Short-tailed Hawk ... and if you go on Friday or Saturday, you can get a tram ride - donations accepted. A keen and well-known Florida bird photographer is scheduled to provide tram rides on Saturday. Cross the road to the Seminole Ranch area for Crested Caracara, sometimes a Merlin ... can be found in the dead tree on the left.

Thanks for advice! Today on the way to north I visited Green Cay and that was the best place in US so far where I have been birding.A good set of birds close by and lot of lifers. 2 limpkins, 2 painted buntings, lots of herons, American Bittern etc. Very easy access also. looking forward for Merrit or Orlando matshes tomorrow!

Sounds like a good day. I might say, for ease of birding, density and variety, Orlando Wetlands is by far the easier to Merritt In my experience, particularly for a solo visiting birder, but Merritt might bring some shorebirds not at Orlando. There were Black Bellied plover on the dunes beaches at Merritt, but needed a scope unless you went down to the beach. Also one of the last Scrub Jay habitats.
Did I mention - if you go to Orlando Wetlands it can take some hours. Hat, sunscreen and good amount of water.
Enjoy the day. Hope you will give us another short report.

Yesterday we had a quick visit to the Orlando Wetlands with family. The place was very good. It would be good to have some kind of bike etc to move around because it's so big area, also telescope would be useful. I got a couple of lifers: black-bellied whistling duck and Sandhill Crane (cranes at Christmas town, before wetlands). There were a lot of warblers around and much more birds in general compared to Florida Keys. 1 limpkin was nearby the entrance.

In the morning I had Gannets and Black bellied Plover from Cocoa Beach and now 90 species from Florida :) today heading back to South and hopefully able to do a couple more birding stops. Maybe Key Biscayne.

Thanks for the update. i had hoped Orlando Wetlands would have been more productivefor you, but it is a big place for a short visit. Happy birding in the Keys.

I am sure Orlando wetlands would have been very productive if I just had more time. But birding with wife and 3-year old kid has it's challenges. I appreciate your advices and you have lots of great birding places around Florida!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back