• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 60-600 coming (1 Viewer)

Really don't see the point in that increased zoom range.
Would be better to increase the f-stop and image quality on the long end, and cut some of the short end.

Who needs a 60mm lens that weighs 2 kg...

After many years of 150-600 shooting if i was still in that area i would go for it, many times walking around with just the 150-600 i wished for wider.

Really don't see the point in that increased zoom range.
Would be better to increase the f-stop and image quality on the long end, and cut some of the short end.

Who needs a 60mm lens that weighs 2 kg...

After many years of 150-600 shooting if i was still in that area i would go for it, many times walking around with just the 150-600 i wished for wider.

2.7kg even ..... !

This really is a strange TurDucKen type of a beast.

While I very rarely take Landscape portraits with my 150-600 at the wide end, and sometimes wish for wider, really I am not prepared to carry the extra 0.7kg around especially when the tele end is no faster at f6.3. I'd swap it all in a heartbeat for 600mms (or longer) with an aperture of f5.6 (or less) AND around 2kg (preferably less, but would tolerate up to 2.5kg for a 600 f4 DO)

I realize that if I want landscape or location type shots that I'd pretty much carry a pocket type camera (which I don't own since it's too much hassle, too much extra stuff and weight [no matter how small], and besides I own a 12-28 f4 for my APS-C anyway) , or resort to what I do now which is use a mobile phone (sometimes in concert with 8x binoculars which gives ~200mm).

If I wanted an all in one lens I'd want more like 20mm f2 - 1000mm f5.6 ....... :)

I think Canon (and rumoured Sony too?) is more on the right track with a 200 f4 - 600 f5.6, as long as they come in sub 2kg.
And of course a Nikon 600 f5.6 PF at ~1.8kg is on the money too (if not the target consumer's price! :)

This 10x Bigma might be ok for car (park) based wildlife photography in the US ..... but for the rest of us birders traipsing through the bush and up mountain sides I think Sigma has failed to get the weight reduction memo ! :flyaway:

Chosun :gh:

if it is anything like the old 50-500mm it should be great.

and if they make it with a mount of the new FF Lumix, will think about it seriously.

started saving up already.

I'll be getting one of these new zooms from the Sydney distributor soon enough to test in the field.

600mm f/6.3 is fine in reasonable light, but not perfect and honestly, I only remember needing a short lens when I was photographing a sea eagle from a boat as it came in so close to take a fish we placed in the water for it. Naturally, I prefer a long lens of at least f/4 aperture for low light though f/5.6 is useable in case it is an 800mm prime.

For birds and wildlife, I could not honestly care for a zoom, as a long prime lens is my preferred beast to use and I can move to change my composition rather than use a zoom.

I'd much rather Sigma introduced a DO version of a 600mm f/4 OS or 800mm f/5.6 OS, but that is on my personal wish list. With the IQ of the Sigma lenses in the last five odd years, I think they would really make for great competition with the Canons and Nikons of the world for the serious wildlife shooter.

Incidentally, I have been reasonably happy when using the Mrs' 150-600mm contemporary lens as it does produce very good IQ, but it does not match the Sigma 500/4 Sport that is my main lens at the moment. Nowhere near it, so I am confident that the 60-600mm would be nowhere near the IQ of my prime lens either.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back