• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrying Camera and Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Ben88

Hi,

What's the best way to carry a DSLR camera/lens and binoculars at the same time, without getting the straps tangled? I currently use a Thinktank Digital Holster, but it's inconvenient and the movement/noise of removing the camera from the bag is often enough to scare away shy birds. I don't feel comfortable slinging my camera over just my shoulder.

Best,
Ben

I used to carry both over my neck, but it's pretty painful over longer periods of time (and you need to have the camera on a long, and the bins on a short, strap to avoid clattering).

I've now moved to a strap that allows me to carry the camera diagonally over the shoulder, and this could be combined with a harness for the bins, or a standard neck strap. There are a number of makes available, such as from sun sniper, black rapid, or op tech. The most common way of attachment is to the tripod mount on a swivel, and that's not to everybody's liking.

Since moving to this kind of strap I find carrying both around much less onerous (and my neck is grateful too). Because I already had some op tech straps, I just got their conversion kit together with the tripod mount attachment I found most trustworty. I'm very happy with this set-up. I also carry a waterproof roll-up bag (in my case made by sea-to-summit) if I think the weather might turn nasty (or if I'm on a small boat).

Andrea

Hi Ben,

Some nice shots there on your Flickr site - I was drawn there from your location in Princeton as this is a place I have visited many times with my work and I've seen a few species there in my spare time! No Am Bittern though - only seen in Florida.

I suffer with back and neck grief when I try and take a day out with camera, scope and bins. Of late I have bought a Q Strap which enables me to sling the camera across my body and support from from the lens (100-400mm) rather than suspend from the camera using a conventional neck strap. the camera sits at hip level and is easily manourvered for shooting. I also have a zoom holster bag but use for safe storage before and after shooting because as you indicate, retrieval at speed is not condusive to the subject staying put.
My binoculars are attached to a harness which I find much better on my neck as well.

I have found that even if I am carrying just 'one' of those ....I will just carry it in my hands, unless I am walking long distances or over terrain I need my hands for. But a few suggestions:

For the camera, use a mono-pod. This will allow you to have the bino's around your neck and the mono-pod/camera resting along atop your shoulders as you rest the mono against them.

Or...if you have both the camera and bino's and no mono-pod, carry the camera against the side of your body but the strap over your head and just hold on to the bino's.

I prefer to have carry my bino's.... it is easier on the neck and back and if I want to I can put them down as I use the camera etc...

To each their own though, jim

hi, have a look at a quick sling camera shoulder strap, you can pick them up from ebay, this leaves room to carry your bins easily round your neck.

Hi,
You might look at the Cotton Carrier - or actually the off-brand copy for 1/5th the price.
Like this one: http://opteka.com/mch25.aspx Costs about £30 in the UK.

I've been using this with the camera weighing about 3kg (with lens) for about a year, and it's the best way, I reckon, to carry a heavy camera for extended periods. BUT - I do look like a dork with it on!

The bins are carried on a diy version of a cross-body slider strap so that they can hang on my left side. Something like this: http://optechusa.com/straps/utility-strap-sling.html

What about the "dual" version of the sling strap? Camera on one side, bins on the other. From my experience with slider straps though, they are brilliant for shorter, lighter lenses, but anything bigger than say about a 70-200 bounces around.

Anything to get the weight off your neck!

As a humble travel zoom shooter (CanonSX260), I have zero direct knowledge, but I see lots of birders with big lenses here in NYC Central Park.
They usually carry their lens (500-600mm) in a backpack and set up to shoot when there are birds. The pros then haul their gear assembled on a tripod with gimbal head, the amateurs hand carry their usually smaller 300-400mm lenses.
No one has their camera gear dangling from a strap. Given the size of these optics, that is unsurprising. It would be like carrying a pickaxe around your waist.

If you usually wear a backpack of any description, even a smallish one, and it has two things-
  • D rings &...
  • web strapping running down the shoulder straps
then these ideas from my web site might work for you -
http://www.carolinawildphoto.com/strap-holster_tips.htm#harness

As shown in the above link, with the Op Tech straps ( or any that have clip buckles) you can thread the neck strap through the backpack harness web strapping behind your head, then clip on the camera, and the harness carries all the weight. You virtually can't feel the weight. You can make a strap for your bins that will clip to the D rings and have them hanging there too, one high and one low. You will barely feel the weight, if at all. It's a free solution and will greatly relieve your neck strain until you find something better.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back