• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 100-400 friction ring repair (1 Viewer)

John In Ireland

Ireland
I have had the friction ring problem for some time now and was now wondering where to send it for repair and service at the same time. If anyone has done this could they please post if they were satisfied plus average cost. Thanks in advance for your time.

I have had the friction ring problem for some time now and was now wondering where to send it for repair and service at the same time. If anyone has done this could they please post if they were satisfied plus average cost. Thanks in advance for your time.

About 18 months ago the friction ring on the 100-400 I had had for several years started shedding tiny fragments into the lens.I sent it back to Canon who replaced the ring and cleaned the lens at a cost of £200.

Tom Lawson.

I had mine done by Canon at Elstree maybe around four years ago,when the lens was three years old. They offered me a time and materials estimate, which would have come in at around £80ish (unless they found anything else wrong) or a fixed price repair to do anything necessary including a full six month warranty on the whole lens for six months for £127.50. I chose the latter option and have had no problems since.

My ring has been U/S for years now, optically the lens is not affected so I have not bothered to repair it. Even if the ring was okay I would still carry my gear with the lens extended so to me what is the point.

My ring has been U/S for years now, optically the lens is not affected so I have not bothered to repair it. Even if the ring was okay I would still carry my gear with the lens extended so to me what is the point.

The lens is not optically affected yet but I wonder where all the bits of friction ring went! Lol. That's why I thought it may be a good idea to have a service at the same time. Plus the lens will not lock at all in any position so there is a risk of it sliding and slamming in any direction. Also if I ever decided to, it wouldn't be a good selling point. Just a thought.

Since mine was repaired I have left the friction ring permanently loose. Perhaps that is why I have not experienced further failure. Damage is most likely when you force the zoom with the friction too tight. The other risk is moisture. Whatever the black material is (some say nothing tougher than paper) I think moisture may well shorten its life, although that was not a factor with my lens. It has never been allowed to get wet/damp.

The lens is not optically affected yet but I wonder where all the bits of friction ring went! Lol. That's why I thought it may be a good idea to have a service at the same time. Plus the lens will not lock at all in any position so there is a risk of it sliding and slamming in any direction. Also if I ever decided to, it wouldn't be a good selling point. Just a thought.

That explains why my photos are covered in black spots like black snow falling, if you have a peek at my gallery or website, see for yourself.8-P

That explains why my photos are covered in black spots like black snow falling, if you have a peek at my gallery or website, see for yourself.8-P

Nope!!! ... I've had a good look and all I see is fabulous images. I thought I saw one on a gannet photograph but after zooming in it was a fly!!!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back