• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100-400mm II (1 Viewer)

MichaelSH

Just acquired a new 100-400mm IS II. Have used original for several years. Not much opportunity for Bird Photography in the last couple of days but have been trying the lens out on general stuff. It is very good indeed. Just pointed it at the moon last evening - this is a 100% crop. I am amazed at the detail in the craters. I think Canon have a winner here for all those of us who cannot even think about the £5k and upwards lenses.

1/640, 5.6, ISO 1600

Attachments

• 578A2083.jpg
    578A2083.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 224
I'm yet to be impressed with the mk2 if you compare your moon shot with my snap taken with an ancient 300mm f4 for detail. I very much hope the mk2 can perform much better as I have my eye on it for a walk about lens. I never liked the pump action of the mk1 but I like the action of the mk2's little brother 70-300 L IS which I purchased a few months ago. The sharpness of the 70-300 L IS does not compare with the prime 300mm f4 L so it looks like I will still be hanging onto it for detailed insect macro work.

Attachments

• IMG_1159.jpg
    IMG_1159.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 109
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back