Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Seeing small white circle...

Old Monday 9th July 2018, 23:39   #1
thisisallen

Was at the beach today and sometimes looking thru the binoculars, Bushnell 10x25 Legend, compact roof prisms, I saw a small white circle - not solid white. What is this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Monday 9th July 2018, 23:54   #2
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisallen View Post
Was at the beach today and sometimes looking thru the binoculars, Bushnell 10x25 Legend, compact roof prisms, I saw a small white circle - not solid white. What is this?

Grazing glare.

Bill
Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 03:08   #3
thisisallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
Grazing glare.

Bill

Thx.
Is it a common occurrence around reflective places like sand or water? Will most binoculars show this?
It looks like it is on the lens.

Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 03:22   #4
WJC

Quote:
Thx.
Is it a common occurrence around reflective places like sand or water? Will most binoculars show this?

No. All it takes is $$$$$$$.

But console yourself, no matter how much you spent ... THERE ARE NO PERFECT OPTICS!

Cheers,

Bill
Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 03:26   #5
mfunnell
Registered Confuser

Quote:
Thx.
Binoculars, like all optical instruments, are susceptible to various varieties of flare and glare. This will vary with lens coatings, internal blacking and baffling and a number of other aspects of design and manufacture.

As with most things, the more expensive the binocular the less it is likely to suffer from such things - all else being equal. Note, however, that all else seldom is equal. Some designs are more susceptible to certain types of flare, even some quite expensive models. Nonetheless, the general trend holds and higher-spec (and hence higher priced) binoculars will, overall, tend to perform better in this aspect of optical performance and many others.

Do note that many types of flare will be exacerbated if lenses aren't clean. So careful use of proper lens cleaning materials and techniques will help to minimise problems with flare.

...Mike

Some photos of my local birds on flickr.
Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 14:26   #6
Foss

Looks like WJC and others have you on the right track. A bit of field diagnostics could serve you well if/when it occurs again. Due to humid beach conditions, my first thought was slight condensation on the eyepieces (or, more seriously, inside the body), but I assume eyepiece condensation was the first thing you checked.
Good luck and happy viewing,
Foss
Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 03:48   #7
thisisallen

I didn’t see any condensation. Not experienced enough to know how to check it further.

Overall, considering what all you good people have explained about optics, for the amount of money these Bushnell cost they serve my purpose nicely for a compact.

Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 07:35   #8
hwinbermuda
BF Supporter 2018

I use them as a bins that I leave in the car so I can always have some to hand, and have been very pleased for the price point.
I have had better that I paid more for, and worse that I paid more for (and less for), but no better at the price or lower.
Its just about getting comfortable with use, and I always spend half an hour or so with new bins, getting everything set up for my eyes, and head size (quite wide between the eyes) just focussing on a fence post at the bottom of the garden. Then when I am comfortable I start looking left and right and up and down on that focus to see what aberrations or flares occur, and see if I can do anything about them.
Its about getting the best out of what you've got, until you buy better bins.

Last edited by hwinbermuda : Thursday 12th July 2018 at 07:36. Reason: smelling pistakes

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: