• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory HT focuser question (1 Viewer)

marcsantacurz

Hey there,

I picked up some 10x42 HT's on ebay (less than 1/2 the $ of SF) just had my first day with them. I noticed that when I reverse directions on the focuser, there's a small dead zone, maybe 1mm, before it feels like it re-engages in the reverse direction. Is that normal or something w/ 2nd hand pair? Otherwise, it feels like very smooth focusing.

It took some time to dial in the IPD and diopter, but once I got it, I could definitely notice the 3d pop, especially for closer birds.

Thanks,
Marc

P.S. the gear comments on this forum are worth pretty much all the other review sites combined -- some of which are worse than useless.

This is something that can afflict many perhaps all bino models but a well set-up HT shouldn't have this so I would send it to Zeiss USA to get it fixed. If I remember correctly there is a form to fill out on their website.

Lee

This is something that can afflict many perhaps all bino models but a well set-up HT shouldn't have this so I would send it to Zeiss USA to get it fixed. If I remember correctly there is a form to fill out on their website.

Lee

Ok, thank you. I found the form and sent it in. Let's see what happens.

I have an earlier pair and I have not noticed that issue. They are my favorite binoculars.

Even with that little slack I'm super happy with them. Once I got the diopter and IPD setup, I find them very comfortable to use and they just kind of fit my eye sockets right.

The image quality is extraordinary. I've tried them next to Swaro 8.5x42 EL Fpro. The HT's are a little cooler and not quite as "wow" spectacular in daylight, but they don't have the rolling ball effect.

Marc

Just to follow up on this, it took me a few weeks to get around to shipping the binoculars.

Zeiss received the 10x42 HTs on Aug 30 and I got an email letter on Sept 7 saying that they cannot repair them in New York and need to send them back to the mother ship in Wetzlar. This will take about 4-6 weeks. They offered to give me a pair of loaners.

I find the offer of loaners amazing, as I'm on secondhand owner (which I made clear in my repair order) and the binoculars have a 3rd party tripod mount on them (Outdoorsman), which I was pretty sure would void the warranty.

Marc

Just to follow up on this, it took me a few weeks to get around to shipping the binoculars.

Zeiss received the 10x42 HTs on Aug 30 and I got an email letter on Sept 7 saying that they cannot repair them in New York and need to send them back to the mother ship in Wetzlar. This will take about 4-6 weeks. They offered to give me a pair of loaners.

I find the offer of loaners amazing, as I'm on secondhand owner (which I made clear in my repair order) and the binoculars have a 3rd party tripod mount on them (Outdoorsman), which I was pretty sure would void the warranty.

Marc

Sounds about right Marc. I took my 8 x 42 HT to Bird Fair last month (18 August) with the same problem, but with added 'gritiness' to boot. It had to go to Wetzlar and I was told it would be 3-4 weeks before it was posted back direct. Maybe we can compare notes when we get them back?

Alan

P.S. I consoled myself with a shniny new 10x SF!!

They didn't offer me a loaner when they sent my 8x42 HT back to Germany to fix a loose screw rattling in the barrel, for 12 weeks. I ended up getting a Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV in the meantime, and that's part of the reason why I didn't consider the SF instead.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back