• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski PTH vs Gitzo GHFG1 (1 Viewer)

Boris Flaccus

Does anyone here use either of these heads, particularly the PTH?
Specifically for people using the PTH: do you find the function to switch off the fluid resistance a must-have, or do you rarely use it, and if you don't, is it set to resistance or no resistance by default?

I suspect that they are the same head with slightly altered fittings. Manfrotto (Gitzo) have a history of making tripods + heads under the Swaro brand and the unique construction of the Gitzo GHFG1 appears to be identical to the Swaro.

Whether this is correct or not they are gimbal heads which I do not find ideal for scope use - but brilliant for big camera lenses.

Just my thoughts.

Yes the main difference I think is that the swaro can toggle the fluid resistance completely off, while the gitzo claims it's an all-in-one package, that is: if you rotate the head swiftly the resistance will automatically decrease.
Or to quote: "The Fluid Gimbal Head cartridge also features an innovative fluidity control system, the Whip-Pan, which delivers superlative device control with high-speed movements. This device applies automatic friction, excluding fluid rotation on the head’s panoramic axis and maintaining smoothness at low rotation speeds, as typically required in video heads. Users have full movement control as they shoot, so there is no risk of shocks or vibrations. At high rotation speeds, when it’s time to quickly reposition the camera, the whip-pan instantly excludes fluidity, allowing free movement without lifting the tripod off the ground. Fluid rotation is automatically and instantly restored when the rotation speed decreases. "

I actually compared both heads in a store (but not on a tripod, yeah I know :/) and ended up buying the gitzo because the fit and finish seemed of better quality (the rubber on the swaro already looked worn, and the "Noir Décor" finish of the gitzo seems sturdier) whilst all else seemed equal. Also, the quick-release plate that comes with the gitzo is longer than the one of the swaro.

But since I currently can't field-test it, I posed the aforementioned question as I had some doubts on wether the amount of resistance wouldn't be bothersome in certain situations where quick action is required. Anyway, I think I'll just stick with my first choice, we'll see along the way.

I would be interested in your thoughts on this head. On other (Photography) forums many are enthusiastic about this Gitzo head and it is much cheaper than the Wimberley 2. I tried my 77mm Kowa on my Wimberley and wasn't quite happy, please let us know how well the Gitzo works for you.

I'll give an initial impression and revisit it in a year or so.

my tripod: manfrotto 055xprob
previous head: manfrotto 498rc2
current scope: nikon ed50 + 27xds (overkill now, but bigger scope pending)

disclaimer: I haven't tested it out in the field yet, only indoors.

Build quality: sturdy and quite heavy compared to the ballhead, I think the gitzo finish will be less prone to scratches and the like compared to the swaro version.
Handling: panning and tilting is very smooth, will see if this is affected by temperature. The combination of the (removable) pan bar and the gimbal works well. The fluid resistance when panning does decrease when panning quickly. But while testing this I found that when I would go quickly back and forth (left-right) I started lifting up a leg of the tripod because the fluid resists going in the opposite direction. I think this would primarily be a problem for photograpy purposes, but I'll pay extra attention to it in the field since it's one of the primary differences with the swaro. What I'll check for as well is how the removable pan bar holds up; it is very lightweight and undergoes the stress of moving the gimbal and scope/lens, I fear it could get deformed in the process, but again, wait and see. The idea I liked the most about the gimbal for use with a scope was that if you properly balance your gear you don't have to worry about the head being loose and your scope smacking down or something, plus this gimbal seems a lot less bulky than the average photographic gimbals.

@johnf3f: what aspect didn't you like about the use of your scope with the wimberley?
I tried to use the gimbal without the pan bar and found it a bit fumbly, maybe with a bigger scope it could work.
Did you hold your scope itself to move it around, or the head?

@johnf3f: what aspect didn't you like about the use of your scope with the wimberley? I tried to use the gimbal without the pan bar and found it a bit fumbly, maybe with a bigger scope it could work.
Did you hold your scope itself to move it around, or the head?

I think the problem was that my scope is too light to get the most out of my Wimberley. Balancing was difficult (scope too light) and the Wimberley does not have fluid damping. My usual head for scope use is the Manfrotto 701 HDV which I find pretty good though I do not normally use the "Pan Bar" I just move the scope around with my eye socket - note my Kowa is a "Straight" scope not an angled model.

This is normally set up on a Gitzo GT4542LS or, occasionally, on a Gitzo GT2531.

Thanks for your your thoughts on the Gitzo Gimbal.

Does anyone here use either of these heads, particularly the PTH?
Specifically for people using the PTH: do you find the function to switch off the fluid resistance a must-have, or do you rarely use it, and if you don't, is it set to resistance or no resistance by default?

I used the fuid resistance according to my taste especially when I do some panning while on video mode. Can't beat the real video head for some serious work on videos, but it is a good to have features in the PTH

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back