• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skuas (1 Viewer)

Just for the record.... Jaeger is a Germanic word which means hunter. The Stercorarius sensu stricto do not hunt, while they do occur in the subantarctic... all a bit of a mess really. I think we should just continue to argue this one out for whatever dumb reason.
The jaegers do not hunt? Whaaaat. That is all they do in the Arctic, hunt!

The jaegers do not hunt? Whaaaat. That is all they do in the Arctic, hunt!

No hold on whey.... kleptoparasitism is not hunting, it's when some dude forces you to pay for badly washing your windscreen at the lights when you didn't want it washed in the first place!

Yes they chase, harass, belly pinch, peck, gauge, they can easily cause a lot of damage, although I don't call that hunting. I was talking about jaegers (Long-tailed/ Parasitic ) NOT skuas pecking the shit out of a baby gull or plover. It would be great to see a paper about jaegers "hunting".... please FW. I don't know enough about where Pomarine fits in, but there you go.

I have a European book that describes food during breeding of LT Jaeger as mainly mice and lemmings, adds things like berries, bird nestlings etc, and finishes by saying the species generally does less kleptoparasitism than other similar species. The same book describes Parasitic as mixing fish from kleptoparasitism with small mammals during breeding.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back