• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Broomrape (1 Viewer)

andrew saunders

Selection of photos of what I assume are Broomrapes, no leaves. Some with reddish stems, some all yellow. Coastal Normandy. Appreciate help with these

Attachments

• Broomrape 1.JPG
    Broomrape 1.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Broomrape 2.JPG
    Broomrape 2.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Broomrape 3.JPG
    Broomrape 3.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Broomrape 4.JPG
    Broomrape 4.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 19
They are all certainly Broomrapes, but I think positive id to species depends on details of floral parts - did you take any close up shots of individual flowers?

Broomrape, more pictures

I have magged up for a bit more detail, hope this helps

Attachments

• Broomrape 1 - Copy.JPG
    Broomrape 1 - Copy.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Broomrape 3 - Copy.JPG
    Broomrape 3 - Copy.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Broomrape 4 - Copy.JPG
    Broomrape 4 - Copy.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Broomrape 6 - Copy.JPG
    Broomrape 6 - Copy.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 11
Based on the number of leguminous plants in the images, I'm tempted to call them all Common Broomrape, orobanche minor, but with the caveat that most species need close ups and a good handbook with keys to be sure of id.

Broomrapes

Thanks for that. Six types of vetch, Lizard orchids etc at the site and Broomrapes in the hundreds. Hummingbird Hawkmoths in the back garden plus prospect of Swallow Tail butterflies. I'm tempted to move to Normandy!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back