• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello Canadian birdwatchers! (1 Viewer)

snowyowl said:
Another Canadian here, checking in from PEI.
We are going through a pretty wild blizzard today and there's going to be a bad storm surge tonight. Combination to the strom and the surge will mean big trouble for some people. Let's hope that the power stays on.

Make sure you take care out there!! I'll try to send you some of the (miracle of miracles!!) calm sunshine we're having today. Hopefully, that storm will blow over tonight and tomorrow the fun cleanup begins.
Sending good thoughts your way......

snowyowl said:
Another Canadian here, checking in from PEI.
We are going through a pretty wild blizzard today and there's going to be a bad storm surge tonight. Combination to the strom and the surge will mean big trouble for some people. Let's hope that the power stays on.

Let's hope that this blizzard will bring you some good birds... I'm hoping that for New Brunswick tomorrow... we are overdue here for a rare bird alert!

Tammie, we get to count the stars here, too. There's, um, 16 of them....No! 17!! :) When I lived in Alberta, I remember seeing star-shadows on some moonless nights. The shadows were very pale, but there they were. I thought it was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen, like a miracle. :)

Carson said:
Tammie, we get to count the stars here, too. There's, um, 16 of them....No! 17!! :) When I lived in Alberta, I remember seeing star-shadows on some moonless nights. The shadows were very pale, but there they were. I thought it was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen, like a miracle. :)
The best place that I've lived for seeing stars was in the Queen Charlotte Islands. Absolutely no city lights to interfere. Dease Lake in BC was another great spot. Of course, there I could also see the wolves coming out road as I was walking to work. They stayed well away but it was still kind of neat.

Carson said:

17 whole stars!!! Wow! ;) Here on any given clear night, the stars are endless. It's really cool when you're watching them and you see either a shooting star or a satellite fly over. Northern Lights can be absolutely amazing too. I've seen pink, green, red, blue and purple so far. What a sight that is! I feel sorry for people stuck in cities who don't get to witness these things. Of course, most of the time, they don't know what they're missing!

snowyowl said:
The best place that I've lived for seeing stars was in the Queen Charlotte Islands. Absolutely no city lights to interfere. Dease Lake in BC was another great spot. Of course, there I could also see the wolves coming out road as I was walking to work. They stayed well away but it was still kind of neat.
We suspect we may have had a wolf in the yard on one or two nights during the past week. A couple of mornings in a row, I'd go out to unlock the sheds and come across tracks in the snow larger than any dog in could make. Almost as big as my hand. We figure it may be after the stray dogs... who knows? I really don't want to come face to face with it in my yard right now tho'... too much snow... no where to run! ;) Would be great for the camera tho'!

Tammie said:
We suspect we may have had a wolf in the yard on one or two nights during the past week. A couple of mornings in a row, I'd go out to unlock the sheds and come across tracks in the snow larger than any dog in could make. Almost as big as my hand. We figure it may be after the stray dogs... who knows? I really don't want to come face to face with it in my yard right now tho'... too much snow... no where to run! ;) Would be great for the camera tho'!
My wife came face to face with a wolf when we were camped in Algonquin Park back in the sixties. She was walking from our tent to the washroom at night.
She thought it really odd to meet a big dog loose like that in the Park, then she realized what she was looking at. She still talks about it and I don't blame her. I was very jealous!

That's okay, Snowyowl. It's normal for a husband to feel jealous when his wife tells stories of coming face to face with a wolf in the middle of the night.

It was fun when I filled the feeders this morning. I had taken down a large triple tube feeder yesterday because it had become snow filled during the storm. I had to take it into the house to do a complete cleanup on it. That is the feeder that is particularly favoured by the Blue Jays. When I put it back out this morning and filled it, I stood nearby and watched for a few minutes. Suddenly there were Blue Jays coming from every direction. I didn't count them but there were easily 40 - 50 of them and right behind them came a dozen Mourning doves heading for the platform feeder. I felt like I was in Hitchcock's "The Birds".
There are often far more numerous flocks of Common Redpolls etc but the size of the Jays and Doves just made things more dramatic.

Very nice picture. Blue Jays are totally different from our Steller's Jays in the way they socialize.

Blue Jays and redpolls! You gave me some colour on this sullen gray morning in the city!

snowyowl said:
It was fun when I filled the feeders this morning. I had taken down a large triple tube feeder yesterday because it had become snow filled during the storm. I had to take it into the house to do a complete cleanup on it. That is the feeder that is particularly favoured by the Blue Jays. When I put it back out this morning and filled it, I stood nearby and watched for a few minutes. Suddenly there were Blue Jays coming from every direction. I didn't count them but there were easily 40 - 50 of them and right behind them came a dozen Mourning doves heading for the platform feeder. I felt like I was in Hitchcock's "The Birds".
There are often far more numerous flocks of Common Redpolls etc but the size of the Jays and Doves just made things more dramatic.

Wow, that must have been an amazing sight! I only have one lonely bluejay... can't imagine having 40 of them!
Kind of sound like my yard in the morning when the pine grosbeaks and redpolls come in for breakfast!
Glad to hear you survived the storm okay! :)

Tammie said:
Wow, that must have been an amazing sight! I only have one lonely bluejay... can't imagine having 40 of them!
Kind of sound like my yard in the morning when the pine grosbeaks and redpolls come in for breakfast!
Glad to hear you survived the storm okay! :)
I've never had numbers like this before. I don't know whether it's the weather or what. I been feeding cracked corn this year for the first time which they do go for so I wonder if there is a connection. I started feeding it hoping to draw back the grouse and pheasants that i used to have.

Nah. The reason for your popularity is because the Blue Jays, being pretty savvy birds, are mostly connected on-line these days. They've no doubt got you written up in one of their Best People Postings on a Blue Jay Forum someplace.

Carson said:
Nah. The reason for your popularity is because the Blue Jays, being pretty savvy birds, are mostly connected on-line these days. They've no doubt got you written up in one of their Best People Postings on a Blue Jay Forum someplace.

:bounce: Must be what happened here with the pine grosbeaks! ;)

Carson said:
So you figure that there's a PeopleForum out there. I wonder what some of their threads would be? How to deal with cats! Best feeder locations! How to attract the "right" type of birder. Feeder etiquette.
Wow! The possibilities are endless.

Hello, I'm from Saskatchewan and the temperture is - 39 with the windchill here, which I consider cold, but not as cold as before(it was - 50 with the windchill) which makes birding interesting.In cold tempertures there are woodpecker fights and woodpecker bullying, where even Blue Jays and females of their own kind get chased.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back