• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

28 days by car in Argentina - October 2015 (1 Viewer)

Oregonian

My brother Lee and I spent 28 days in Argentina starting on October 7th, 2015. We had a grand time. I don't think I'll find time to write up a full trip report, but some comments may be helpful to others:
  • Argentina is a fine country for the independent birder.
  • Getting around in a rented car, finding lodging and food was never a problem. Far from not a problem, it was all fun. Okay, we had some car problems. The cheapest rental car may not be the best option.
  • Keep your headlights on low beam (not just running lights) when you're on the highway.

Lee prepared the attached map from waypoints he saved. Our general plan was to spend a few days in Buenos Aires, a few days in the Iberá wetlands, a few days at Iguazu, a few days in Calilegua NP, some time around Córdoba, and a few days on the coast in Pategonia, around Trelew. It turns out that Argentina is huge, and the 28 days was not sufficient. We drove more than 7000 kilometers. We could have spent more time in any of those places.

In some ways, we were just skimming the cream. Without much local guidance, and enough time for searching, we missed a lot of the narrow-range endemics. We did tick more than 350 species, including some birds we really wanted to see: Strange-tailed Tyrant, Red-legged Seriema and Rufous-throated Dipper.

I hope to add more later,
Jeff

Attachments

• Argentina Circuit-lee.jpg
    Argentina Circuit-lee.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 78
Sounds like a trip packed with potential. I've dipped a toe in Argentina, principally around Ibera (not a bad place to start admittedly) and loved the place, so I'll follow this with interest, as well as your photos (which I see you've started uploading to the Gallery already, nice one).

Cheers

James

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back