• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 BN (1 Viewer)

Mike F

Hi everyone. I thought I'd just enquire here about some 8x32 BN's which are on eBay UK at the moment. I realise that in sharing this I might loose them to someone else, buts that's OK! ;)B :)

They are priced at £669 which I suspect is a little 'ambitious', but they do look superb. The price isn't too much of an issue, but I wouldn't want to pay way over the odds - there's lots of these around. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 177
  • s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 117
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 93
  • s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 108
Yeah! When I wanted to get one to match my new 7x42 Trinovid BN back in 2004 when they were discontinued I couldn't find any. Now that I don't need one or want one at any price they are starting to show up for sale.

Bob

Tough to find a late serial # in that shape these days, the price is for a collector (ambitious yes), one who is looking for a pristine sample. At $870.00 one could find a used BA sample for a few hundred less, or a new Nikon HG 8X30.

Andy W.

I too feel this is at the top end of asking even if for a collector. There was/is a BA that was advertised on here for around £300 though well used. Depends how much you want one, I would go for £500 top.

The little red Leica seal on the right strap lug suggests these have (recently?) been serviced by Leica, so the focus wheel action should be ok. The focus wheel can be an issue with these Trinovids.

George

Hey Mike,
I looks pretty good to me! I always look at the brand and model lettering to check for wear. That one sure looks nice! Includes most of the original stuff too. The word "mint" sure makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over!

There are a couple more on eBay from the UK....both from aceopticsbath. They have a couple in "excellent ++" condition. They both LOOK good. The one for 599 GBP looks really nice to me.

Some folks are happy with a binocular that may show a little more wear and tear...I'm just not that person in most cases. So, I don't mind paying a little more for a little nicer specimen. In a few years of use, it will never matter.

Although I like and appreciate the newest developments in binocular, I sure enjoy using and appreciate some of the older models that are still excellent binoculars today, ie the Swarovski SLCs, Zeiss FLs, and the Trinovids. Quality never goes out of style.

An example this clean is unusual.
I’d look at these as “new, old stock” and are a new pair of bins of this quality worth that money.
For me it is an easy yes.

These will make you happy.

Hi everyone. I thought I'd just enquire here about some 8x32 BN's which are on eBay UK at the moment. I realise that in sharing this I might loose them to someone else, buts that's OK! ;)B :)

They are priced at £669 which I suspect is a little 'ambitious', but they do look superb. The price isn't too much of an issue, but I wouldn't want to pay way over the odds - there's lots of these around. Any thoughts?

This man has impeccable taste in binoculars.
Go on and buy them Mike, I'll live vicariously through you. Yes, I have a pair of EDG 8x32 but what a soulless pair of binoculars they are by comparison.

Thanks for your encouragement guys! (I think......8-P)

What do you make of the mark in the rubber armouring near and above the RH objective that can be seen in the 4th picture above? Is this mark some kind of grease mark that will clean off, or is it an irregularity of some sort in the actual rubber?

I'm interested in these, and although I will use them (lightly - I won't be clambering over rocks with them dangling around my neck!) I am attracted by their condition and the fact that they come with all of the original boxes and paperwork. I think Leica bins like these will only ever increase in value if well looked after. However, I'm a bit concerned about paying top €£$ if they have a material flaw.

Opinions invited!

Thanks for your encouragement guys! (I think......8-P)

What do you make of the mark in the rubber armouring near and above the RH objective that can be seen in the 4th picture above? Is this mark some kind of grease mark that will clean off, or is it an irregularity of some sort in the actual rubber?

I'm interested in these, and although I will use them (lightly - I won't be clambering over rocks with them dangling around my neck!) I am attracted by their condition and the fact that they come with all of the original boxes and paperwork. I think Leica bins like these will only ever increase in value if well looked after. However, I'm a bit concerned about paying top €£$ if they have a material flaw.

Opinions invited!

This place is full of enablers.
To me it looks like what may be a slight dare I say imperfection in the rubber moulding. I'm not sure if this is the description I wish to convey but I've seen similar textures in moulded objects before. It also appears that whatever it is has been enhanced in the picture by the sheen and gloss of the textured rubber moulding so perhaps less profound in the flesh.
I've bought brand new gear, infact all my binoculars were bought brand new, that have various flaws. Some not just on the rubber moulding for example like tiny air bubbles and the like in glass and for that matter in camera lenses also.
I go over my optics with a torch and I can honestly say that I can pick varying flaws in all my binoculars... EDG, UV HD+, Trinovid, Zeiss Pocket. Now are any of these flaws show stoppers? No, but I would prefer perfection of course. All function fine and provide great views.
In all reality these binoculars could be in as good or better order than say a brand new model straight off the shelf. There's always risks of course.
Price wise these are dear but to put it into perspective by the time I paid tax on these I'd be looking at a similar or perhaps slightly more expensive binocular than a new Trinovid HD 8x32 and I can tell you I'd rather the BN.

Last edited:
So..... I asked the seller if he could provide more pictures of the mark in the rubber near the RH objective, which he has. He also confirmed that it has the Leica red dot seal because it has just been serviced and that Leica replaced the armouring as part of the service.

It looks to me as though the seller has wiped some grease on the whole of the RH objective part of the bin to make the appearance more even. It now looks 'wet' and shiny (although still somewhat uneven) as opposed to the same place on the LH which looks uniformly matt black.

To be honest, the only reason that I would have considered paying so much for these is if they were effectively 'as new'. I would have used them myself (I'm not a collector), but I'm not interested in paying top money for something that has seen enough use to warrant the need for a full service and is now apparently somewhat less that perfect (although I agree with F88 that if you look closely enough you can find flaws in anything!).

Actually, I agree with Chuck that the ones priced at £599 are perhaps the most attractive on eBay UK at the moment. I contacted that seller as well and asked why there was a difference in price between the two 8x32 BN's that they have, given that the description of the condition is the same, and the they look virtually identical. They replied:- 'The simple answer is that we now have 2 of these 8x32 BN binoculars so we priced one lower to hopefully sell it quicker.'

eBay seems to be awash with BA's and BN's of all different flavours at the moment. Certainly there's no shortage of choice and no need to pay top end money for something less than perfect. I think I'll pass.......

Attachments

• s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 66
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 70
  • s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 58
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 67
The little red Leica seal on the right strap lug suggests these have (recently?) been serviced by Leica, so the focus wheel action should be ok. The focus wheel can be an issue with these Trinovids.

George

What kind of issues do you mean? Does it only concern the 8x32 BN?

Ace Optics of Bath are an established and reputable seller. The kind of traditional UK camera and optics seller - quite a small shop, stuffed full of gear, stockist for Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss and others. Knowledgeable and very helpful staff. I visited there last year when I was considering a pair of Swarovski ELs - visiting family in bath. When I was trying them, the guy in the shop pointed out the peregrine falcon that was perched on te spire of the church at the end of the street - they have a nest on Bath Abbey neaby, and there are plenty of pigeons to feed on. I wouldn't have any hesitation in buying from them.

MandoBear, the bins are not from Ace Optics. The very similar ones priced £599 & £629 are, but the ones in question here that include all the original boxes and paperwork are not.

Or perhaps you knew that? Anyway, I thought I would make it clear ;) , and thanks for the info about Ace Optics - good to know!

Last edited:
What kind of issues do you mean? Does it only concern the 8x32 BN?

Focussers on the BA, BN, BR mid- and full size bins have a reputation for not being the smoothest in the business. They can have some play when changing directions, a 'lag' before they engage or uneven movement across the focus range. If you seach on Birdforum you'll find a number of old threads addressing Leica focusser problems.

I had a 8x32 BA that developed this problem, a 8x32 BR, a 7x42 BR and now a 8x32 HD that is on the verge of needing service. These issues seem to be solved with the HD or HD+ range.

George

Focussers on the BA, BN, BR mid- and full size bins have a reputation for not being the smoothest in the business. They can have some play when changing directions, a 'lag' before they engage or uneven movement across the focus range. If you seach on Birdforum you'll find a number of old threads addressing Leica focusser problems.

I had a 8x32 BA that developed this problem, a 8x32 BR, a 7x42 BR and now a 8x32 HD that is on the verge of needing service. These issues seem to be solved with the HD or HD+ range.

George

Not to discount your experience George, but I have/had two BAs, two BNs, and three BRs and never had a problem with any of them regarding focusers.
No problem initially nor developed over time.

As an aside, it's always been a mystery to me when people have written such things about Leica focusers. Either I have incredible luck regarding this or I just can't realize there is a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back