• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Transporting cameras.Be warned! (1 Viewer)

mike from ebbw

I am still on holidays at the moment and just spent 9 rainy days in the Highlands.I am now in Silloth on the Solway Firth.I was hoping to get some wader shots this morning on the mudflats but when I went to clean the camera last night I couldnt get it to turn on!I tried to change the battery thinking it was a spent charge but still nothing.I noticed that if I held the battery in whilst holding the camera on its side it would come on.But if I turned it the right way up it would go back off again.

I decided to see if I could fix it myself (daft or what?).When I went to undo the three screws next to the CF card slot I noticed they were very loose.I tightened them up fully and hey presto it came on!I gave it a good shake and it stayed on.Thank gawd for that!When I then tried to take a picture I noticed that the LCD display in the viewfinder was at an awkward angle.I looked inside the front of the camera and noticed that the little piece of plastic at the base of the focussing screen had popped out of its slot.Managed to click it back in and all is fine.

All this was down to transporting my camera gear in the roofbox and not inside the car.It must have knocked it about so much that it loosened the screws so the battery wasnt making contact properly and the LCD screen popped out.
When I come home to Wales on the weekend my camera gear will be inside the car on a nice soft seat.As the car is jam packed I will have to stick one of the kids in the roofbox instead (lol).

Did you see Family Guy last night where Pete was sleeping with the pile of money? I do that with my camera and lens.

The two most important rules of bird photography :

1. Never go anywhere and I mean anywhere (unless it's a public loo, might give the wrong impression ;) ) without your camera, you just never know!
2. Never let it out of arm's reach, you can take that photo of a hovering Kestrel as you're driving down the motorway. I'm sure the police will understand why you ended up in the field and let loose all the cows onto the motorway, just show him the photo and all will be right.

Right, I'm back in the real world again, dammit! ;)
Jaff

Mike, what was you thinking?

The camera should have the front seat, always!

Dog in the back seat

Wife and kids on the roof rack, in my case pickup bed, or at home

Gunter

And one of our running candidates for President caught hell for transporting his dog on the roof of his car on a 3 hour vacation trip. I can't imagine what would have been said had it been a camera ;)

Glad to hear it is in working order.

Finally got home about half hour ago after a 300 mile drive.The camera was nice and safely on the back seat with seatbelt on.My 10 year old son took its place in the roofbox.He is now complaining of cramp!I cant understand why!Kids eh?(lol).

Not quite on topic but at the Bird Fair today I saw a young salesman/demonstrator from one of the exhibitors actually sitting on the camera atttached to what I thought was a 400mm lens, using it like a stool. What a twerp!!

Georgina

The seatbelt is the important thing, had my 20D w/400mm IS on the front seat beside me today, turned to fast and there it went bouncing to the floorboard! Boy did I have someone on my side, no damage!o:D I stopped as soon as possible, checked it out and strapped it in!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back