• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 190 Go,BeFree or something else (1 Viewer)

Blackdog67

I have an old Manfrotto 055NAT but find it really heavy when on longer walks. I am looking for a more lightweight solution and I wondered what peoples thoughts were on the Manfrotto 190 Go and the Manfrotto BeFree (aluminium)?

I am open to other suggestions although I have the manfrotto quick release plates on my gear and so would prefer to stick with Manfrotto.

I am on a fairly tight budget so Carbon Fibre models are probably out of my reach at the moment.

I have a Nikon D300 which I use with a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, I am hoping to add a 150-600mm lens soon.

Any opinions from people with experience of these two models or general advice would be welcome.

Last edited:
I have an old Manfrotto 055NAT but find it really heavy when on longer walks. I am looking for a more lightweight solution and I wondered what peoples thoughts were on the Manfrotto 190 Go and the Manfrotto BeFree (aluminium)?

I am open to other suggestions although I have the manfrotto quick release plates on my gear and so would prefer to stick with Manfrotto.

I am on a fairly tight budget so Carbon Fibre models are probably out of my reach at the moment.

I have a Nikon D300 which I use with a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, I am hoping to add a 150-600mm lens soon.

Any opinions from people with experience of these two models or general advice would be welcome.

I have the 190 Go which I use for my scope. Have to say I am really pleased with it and really like the twist leg locks, wish all were the same. Great value for money in my eyes. Have on occasion used it for my camera, 7D2 and 300 f2.8. Certainly not been a problem but would not risk leaving it mounted without being on hand. Holds weight ok but unsure if head lock is strong enough for the weight. No hesitation in recommending.

Phil

I took a chance on the "28mm On-It Carbon Fibre Tripod" from SRB Photographic. I much prefer it to my Manfrotto 190XPROB.

It is very good value for money and is currently reduced to £150 on the SRB site.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back