• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thorpeness (1 Viewer)

You'll be lucky to get many replies, with the Suffolk thread having nothing for almost 2 years. I've been on holiday in the area a few times and, firstly, I would recommend North Warren (marshes between Thorpeness and Aldeburgh). It's not the best time of year for it but you may catch some early Snow Bunting on the beach (not quite on the reserve), find a Yellow-browed Warbler or some other small migrant in the bushes around the cottage (about halfway along the coast road between Aldeburgh and Thorpeness) or in the woods the other side of the reserve or see a Spoonbill on the marshes (I have a few times) but anything can turn up. I think the reserve also has Pinkfeet (and occasionally some rarer geese) in winter but again, you're probably a bit too early in the year for them. Also, it's worth checking out Aldeburgh Town Marshes which is the other side of Aldeburgh. Once again, anything could turn up, I think they've had a rare Pipit (can't remember which species) and a Collared Pratincole quite recently. There should be a few Stonechat there and maybe a Cetti's Warbler (I've heard one there before).

In Thorpeness, it may be worth checking out Thorpeness Meare for any early winter ducks (unlikely though) and the beach for any Snow Bunting and for anything skulking in any bushes. As you probably already know, Minsmere is well worth the trip if you have the time.

Hope this helps,
Louis

Many thanks for your replies. I'm likely to be working in the area for another 4 or 5 weeks. So much to explore. I have already heard but not seen a Dartford Warbler. Where I am working a sparrowhawk flies through a couple of times a day through the gardens with bird feeders. A large flock of of long tailed tits moves around a couple of times a day with about a half dozen other species following along. Lots of geese flying over early morning and late evening. Lovely when the sun shines. Miserable when its raining.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back