• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diver - Poland (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

I saw these 2 divers on the northern coast of Poland couple of days ago

Are both Red-throated Diver, since I see some variation around the throat area in the coloring?

I have more pictures of different angles, but of same quality if needed..

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• First shot.jpg
    First shot.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 206
Yes, both Red-throated; the upper left bird still has some summer plumage feathering, the lower all winter (or juvenile) plumage.

I think the upper left bird is a first winter Red-throated.
The darkish neck is still ok for the most marked first winter birds of Red-throated (i think the colouration is pronounced because of the unsharpness of the picture), the other bird seems to be an adult bird (not so sure, because first winter birds can sometimes look similar to this bird)

Slender, up-tilted bill, same as in the 2nd bird, and also the same overall size. Blackthroat would be distinctively larger and with an obviously heavier bill.

I take the general point about size and structural differences, but given that there is a 4cm overlap in size between a larger RTD and a smaller BTD, I'm not sure I'd want to make the distinction on field views, or from the image in post 1 based purely on size.

Similarly, slim-billed BT Divers exist, like the one in this link. https://www.alamy.com/parelduiker-in-vlucht-black-throated-diver-gavia-arctica-in-flight-image177669982.html This bird could even be said to have a slight up-turn to the bill, only subtly less so than on some Red-throats. I do agree however, that the subject bird's bill is upturned enough to be safely in the RTD zone, but to the untrained eye this can be tricky to judge.

I think that one of the best features with this bird is the combination of white chin and throat, and dusky fore-neck (which blends in nicely with the rest of the head and neck-and with no obviously contrasting dark throat which would indicate an adult of either sp). This combination is unique to 1cy RTD (ignoring the two larger diver sp.) as Alexander has already said above.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back