• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey Catbird (1 Viewer)

Haggis

"Yes, the one with the binnoculars."
While photographing the local birds at the feeder, I was excited to see a Grey Catbird come out of the shrubs below my feeders. It was a perfect location for a Catbird. Rambling roses and weeping raspberries all intertwined. I did manage to get some photos of it, but, with only what amounts to a 300mm zoom I don't imagine they'll be too useful. Especially, considering it was from the second story.

Oh well... it's been years since I've seen one. If I only trusted my ears more, I would have realized sooner that it was there.

What a nice surprise.

Haggis

I'll occasionally see catbirds in my yard. I saw one just three weeks ago in my yard. However, while at Crane Creek State Park in mid-may it was hard to walk 25 feet without seeing a catbird.

I am in Tallahassee, Florida and I have a pair of Gray Catbirds (i know you spell it Grey there) and I may have gotten them to try an apple half. I am curious if you have been able to observe the Gray Catbird eating anything and if so, then what was it eating. Anything you have learned about the Gray Catbird would greatly be appreciated as I am always looking for tips on how to attract them. I do know that a bird bath definetly attracts them and that they like to search around on the ground beneath bird baths.

Firstly, I spell it gray or grey depending on the time of day. <G> I sprinkled some blueberries on the ground and sure enough, the Catbird was eating them the next morning. It was only here a few days, so that is all the wisdom I can pass on. They really are quite beautiful. Enjoy!

Gray Catbird

Haggis said:
Firstly, I spell it gray or grey depending on the time of day. <G> I sprinkled some blueberries on the ground and sure enough, the Catbird was eating them the next morning. It was only here a few days, so that is all the wisdom I can pass on. They really are quite beautiful. Enjoy!

Blueberries very well may be its prefered berry. I currently have blueberries out, but the problem may be that the catbirds may not want to come to the platform feeder, the trick may be to simply throw them out on the ground instead. I have a pair that stays in the thickest growth on my property, so thick i have to walk thru with a machete. I have learned this and I will pass it on, if you attempt to mimick the catbird call (just long drawn out single sylable cat shreek), it will actually fly to you to investigate the sound, very interesting. Furthermore, I kid you not, the catbird literally landed within feet of a feeder equipped with grape jelly and blueberries and simply flew off, persistence may be the key here.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back