• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory SF residuals. (1 Viewer)

Torview

I`v mentioned on these pages many times how much I wish to add an 8x42 SF to my arsenal, but I`m very reluctant to purchase new, I`v been keeping an eye on used prices and they don`t seem to sell untill they drop to around £1000, that`s a big hit to take IMHO.

Any good reason why such a great binocular commands such low prices used ?

John.

Looked up pre owned just now..... £1500 and £1600, both black. Somewhat surprised you haven't purchased one yet if they were around the 1k price.

Perhaps the reputation of Swarovski optics and their after sales service is relevant.

It's just the market, John, they are only worth what they sell for not what they are advertised for.

Having two versions of the SF probably doesn't help to maintain 'perceived value' in the residual market, the grey version and the new black version with the redesigned eye-cup.

There are plenty of opportunities to purchase these on the various resale platforms, not only in the birding world but everywhere else.

Perhaps it is more of a buyers market than some would hope for or indeed maintain.

Upto 2/3rds of the lowest price when sold as new is a realistic and much used rule of thumb when resold and it can often be less if needs must and in this respect it is worth comparing resale prices of the various contenders and their respective warranties.

Regards, Steve

Looked up pre owned just now..... £1500 and £1600, both black. Somewhat surprised you haven't purchased one yet if they were around the 1k price.

Perhaps the reputation of Swarovski optics and their after sales service is relevant.

Clifton Cameras have the SF 8x42 black, new, £1599.00: here.

That's not far off the lowest price two years ago.

Regards, Steve

Hi Pyrtle, I haven`t grabbed one of the £1k examples as they are all 10x42, there is a 10x42 on eBay right now for £1k or best offer !

Hi Steve thanks for the link to CC, that`s a very attractive offer, cheers.

CC is where the results for pre owned came up, very good price for a new "alpha" bino imo that could satisfy and complete your desire itch.

CC is where the results for pre owned came up, very good price for a new "alpha" bino imo that could satisfy and complete your desire itch.

I know, its ridiculous really I have an 8.5x42 and 8x32 SVFP, but that SF just keeps calling, and the sudden loss of a dear Birding friend recently got me thinking about not denying oneself some luxury.

I`v mentioned on these pages many times how much I wish to add an 8x42 SF to my arsenal, but I`m very reluctant to purchase new, I`v been keeping an eye on used prices and they don`t seem to sell untill they drop to around £1000, that`s a big hit to take IMHO.

Any good reason why such a great binocular commands such low prices used ?

John.

I would like to get another SF myself at some point. Personally, I'd buy NIB and not plan on re-selling. Problem is, what more would I expect from it that the SV 8.5X42 OR SV 8X32 didn't deliver? That's MY problem! LOL!

I would like to get another SF myself at some point. Personally, I'd buy NIB and not plan on re-selling. Problem is, what more would I expect from it that the SV 8.5X42 OR SV 8X32 didn't deliver? That's MY problem! LOL!

Are you going to get the 10x this time, or go back to the 8? You should have hung on to it! ;-)

-Bill

Fov and handling. But really you have got all the bases that are important to you covered already, but thats no excuse for not getting that other SF :t:

Lee

There`s something about the view which keeps pulling me in, in simple terms and to my eyes, to use an HDTV analogy, the SV is like the normal picture preset, the NV is like the dynamic preset, but the SF is like a really good movie preset, and I think it suits me best of all.

- If you've looked through it and know it's such a keeper, why give a toss about "residuals"?

- Since SFs can be obtained at those kinds of prices secondhand, why not keep an eye out for one?

- Flog the 8.5x42 SV and you might be quids in! 3:)

Bigger FOV, better balance, better glare control and a smoother focuser. I just bought an 8x42 SF myself to see if Zeiss corrected the reflections visible beyond the eyepiece's diaphragm that I saw on my last sample. Get it Tuesday. Sport Optics gives you 15% off of list price so $2300.00 shipped is not to bad. I buy NIB anymore because I am too OCD. I don't want to have to clean smudges off the lenses when I get them. I want them pristine and untouched kind of like my woman.:-O

Last edited:
I buy NIB anymore because I am too OCD.

I am too, but NIB doesn't guarantee anything now, it seems. I've had to send two brand-new Zeiss 10x42 back (one Conquest HD, one SF). The first was the dealer's fault (mud (!) on barrels, large marks on objective; didn't buy from them again), the second Zeiss's (internal focusing lens covered in marks). It's likely that neither issue affected their optics in a noticeable way but, still, I didn't like it.

So the key has to be: always use a good dealer.

I am too, but NIB doesn't guarantee anything now, it seems. I've had to send two brand-new Zeiss 10x42 back (one Conquest HD, one SF). The first was the dealer's fault (mud (!) on barrels, large marks on objective; didn't buy from them again), the second Zeiss's (internal focusing lens covered in marks). It's likely that neither issue affected their optics in a noticeable way but, still, I didn't like it.

So the key has to be: always use a good dealer.
It is amazing that even with the alpha level binoculars I would say the defect rate is 50%. I have had good luck with Sport Optics here in the US. When I buy a Swarovski I even have them check the focuser before they ship them! These days there is no quality any more.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back