• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Eyepiece (1 Viewer)

cefnlad

I have an Acuter Grandvista 65, with the normal 16-48x zoom eyepiece. The scope takes a 1.25" EP and I would like to add a fixed eyepiece of say between 12mm and 20mm, which should give between 20x - 30x. Any recommendations?

Hi,

the Explore Scientific 68 and 82 degree series EPs are well regarded as fairly cheap and well corrected even with fast instruments.
I have the 16mm ES 68 which works very well on my TSN-3 (but I have not adapted it since I have a Kowa 30 wide EP). I also use it permanently on my Opticron MMS 160.

Joachim

If you're not concerned about weatherproofing theBST Explorer are excellent. I have a 12mm and 15mm. I also have a 12mm Pentax and to be honest I can't see the difference between that and the BST 12mm. They really do punch above their weight. You can use Opticron fixed ep's, I have 22mm 40810 old type and a 16mm 40809 and these are pin sharp. The 22mm is just as good as the 20mm Pentax I have. The problem with 1.25 eyepieces is there is too much choice and they are all excellent.

I prefer the eyecup design of the BSTs to the X-cel LX. Optically they're pretty similar and in my opinion both just as good as the ES68 range, which is waterproof and has a slightly wider field but suffers from more pincushion distortion as a result.

If you observe whilst wearing glasses the 16mm ES68 is a bit short on eye relief. The 20mm will have more and may or may not be ok.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back