• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BOG Binocular Rest (1 Viewer)

cdmackay

I ordered one of these recently; many of my binoculars don't have a dedicated tripod attachment, whether supplied or an an extra, so something that would work to some extent, for them all, seemed useful.

It arrived today; disappointed to find that it stinks appallingly with a petroleum smell. I think one other user mentioned this recently (after I'd ordered mine).

I've had this problem before, with some plastic/rubber items; not sure if it indicates cheap materials, or process, or is just unavoidable?

It's sufficiently bad that I can't use it: not only is it offensively strong, and my wife would kill me with it in the house. I also don't want the small transferring to the plastic/rubber armour of my binoculars.

I've put it out in the carport, in the hope that the smell might dissipate over time.

Meanwhile, any recommendations for other, generic binocular-tripod mechanisms, please?

thanks very much indeed.

Maybe try some harpic, could solve the smell problem? (sorry couldn't resist after seeing the brand name!)

Hope you get some sensible replies :t:

Hi,

the smell in some new plastic items is usually either not fully polymerized base chemicals or an excess of softening agent. In both cases it's probably not healthy to be exposed to the fumes for extended time. Leaving it outside for a few weeks usually makes it go away...

At least it did for a few of my bino bags that were smelly out of the factory...

Joachim

My Foton binoculars smelled badly when bought new.

They still do after almost twenty years.
It is the main reason I don't use them much.

A Chinese camera had a case that smelled so badly, that the case was immediately thrown out. It was the worst smelling case I ever experienced. About 25 years ago.

B

I think you've already got the right solution. My own recently acquired Bogthing is in fact sitting in the garage, easily overpowered by the smell of tires. I just took a sniff and it's already much milder (less acrid) than when new. That rubber material works really well, so it's worth being patient with and airing out.

What's harpic?

thanks very much, all.

Hi,
the smell in some new plastic items is usually either not fully polymerized base

good to know, thanks!

thanks Pete, I will order one up to try, and compare with the Berlebach, and perhaps write a comparative review.

A Chinese camera had a case that smelled so badly, that the case was immediately thrown out. It was the worst smelling case I ever experienced. About 25 years ago.
B

yup, I've had cases like that too! It's a shame, good product ruined.

I think you've already got the right solution. My own recently acquired Bogthing is in fact sitting in the garage, easily overpowered by the smell of tires. I just took a sniff and it's already much milder (less acrid) than when new. That rubber material works really well, so it's worth being patient with and airing out.

What's harpic?

Thanks! let's hope it does, and I can review the BOG too.

Harpic: toilet cleaner, here in the UK. And the relevance is that "bog" is British slang for a toilet. So a smelly BOG might be helped by a bit of Harpic :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back