• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dowles Brook, Wyre Forest (1 Viewer)

The pair of Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers still feeding young yesterday - at least two in the nest, often looking out to see where their parents had got to. One particularly noisy one.

They look close to fledging, so a great success.

Hope Iain Leach doesn't mind me stealing his photos from last week! Check him out of Facebook, where he posts loads of photos like this.

I should point out the photo's were taken from cover, 80m from the nest hole, using a remote control, with the camera positioned partly hidden next to a tree trunk, and he was using a 600mm lens with a 1.4x converter.

The birds were very comfortable and were regularly coming straight to the hole without hesitation.

Attachments

• LSW f Wyre 210514.jpg
    LSW f Wyre 210514.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 71
  • LSW m Wyre 210514.jpg
    LSW m Wyre 210514.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 73
  • LSW pr Wyre 210514.jpg
    LSW pr Wyre 210514.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Tuesday 24 June
Another splendid sunny day wandering around Dowles Brook, bird sightings included Dipper, Grey Wagtails and a Kingfisher, the first Ive seen along the river for a long time. Also seen, another pair of Pied Flycatchers with young, the other pair, seen a couple of weeks ago, appear to have reared their young and moved on.
Many Butterflies on the wing:- Meadow Browns, Ringlets (50+), Red Admirals 2,
Comma 1, Small Tortoiseshell 1, Brimstone 3, Large Skipper 10+, Silver Washed Fritillary 4, and Speckled Woods, (No Whites!)

A few record photos:-

Attachments

• DSCF8145.jpg
    DSCF8145.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF9230.jpg
    DSCF9230.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF9383.jpg
    DSCF9383.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF9385.jpg
    DSCF9385.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 36
Does anybody visit the Dowles Brook area of the Wyre Forest any more?!!

Very quiet today (people/dog wise) but a nice selection of birds on a lovely warm stroll round today.
Highlights:- Goldcrests -3, Dipper, Nuthatches -4, Redpoll-1

Also seen a.m. Red Admiral & 2 Small White

Dick

I visit about once every couple of weeks during the Autumn but i don't bother when the river levels are high or has been excessivley rainy.....just a mud/dog thing.

If i don't see anything worth posting i dont bother.

Laurie:t:

Two Dippers on the brook today fighting, one looked asif it's feathering had pale edges. Perhaps one of this years young being driven off. Also a flock of Siskins in an Alder. Other than that it was all Tits, Robins and Blackbirds.
Jackie

I managed to flush a Woodcock in the Forest today, I must have been within a few feet of it and never saw it till it flew. Good camouflage.
Jackie

29 dec cold -4C reading in car, wyre quiet but for 3 great spotted woodpeckers drumming. Seems early but perhaps they were trying to keep warm . To all readers have a happy new year.

Couple of hours down the Brook this morning , fairly quiet, highlights -
Dipper , two sightings ,may have been same bird .
Goldcrest
Willow or Marsh Tit , anyone have any idea which is the more likely ? I thought Willow but moved too quick for a photo

Couple of hours down the Brook this morning , fairly quiet, highlights -
Dipper , two sightings ,may have been same bird .
Goldcrest
Willow or Marsh Tit , anyone have any idea which is the more likely ? I thought Willow but moved too quick for a photo

Marsh Tit is far more likely in the Wyre

Thanks Phil,
Couldn't see any mark on the bill but I know that's not a definitive ID characteristic so it will have to be a maybe.
To be honest I thought the reported Sandwell RSPB tit showing on the feeders was a Marsh but most birders reporting it as a Willow , think I'll just give up with these two

Thanks Phil,
Couldn't see any mark on the bill but I know that's not a definitive ID characteristic so it will have to be a maybe.
To be honest I thought the reported Sandwell RSPB tit showing on the feeders was a Marsh but most birders reporting it as a Willow , think I'll just give up with these two

there's a good article here:

http://www.britishbirds.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Willow-Marsh-Tits.pdf

and a good video here:

http://www.bto.org/about-birds/bird-id/telling-apart-marsh-and-willow-tits

Users who are viewing this thread

Back