• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three Queensland Moths (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I'd be grateful if someone could put a name to these three please. All in the Outback.

Attachments

• BF White Moth for ID DSCN3941.jpg
    BF White Moth for ID DSCN3941.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Brown moth for ID DSCN3977.jpg
    BF Brown moth for ID DSCN3977.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Moth with eyes to ID DSCN4030.jpg
    BF Moth with eyes to ID DSCN4030.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 20
Thanks Andy. The first one, I can see where you're coming from with Footman, but when I checked them in Queensland, they all seem to be brown LOL??

Gawd... I'm struggling to work out what the differences are between both the ones you linked to... and they both look like my one!!!

Here's another moth... a really tiny one, that I found in the Mount Nimmo area of the Gold Coast.

It had purplish wings, which don't show too clearly I'm afraid.

Attachments

• BF Tiny moth purplish wings for ID.jpg
    BF Tiny moth purplish wings for ID.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 17
I think that with those antennae your last one must be a butterfly (probably a Lycaenid) - perhaps with badly formed wings.

Gawd... I'm struggling to work out what the differences are between both the ones you linked to... and they both look like my one!!!

I think it must be a case of misidentified photos on the web.

There are certainly two different species figured - but sometimes with the same name. It seems to match one photo of Dasypodia cymatodes Guenée, 1852 on here (http://lepidoptera.butterflyhouse.com.au/cato/cymatodes.html). To know
if this was correct, you would need to examone the type specimens, which are in the Natural History Museum, London.

Martin

Oh of course.... ball on antennae = butterfly. Wondering if that applies to my first picture too (can't see too clearly).

Thanks Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back