• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with waders (1 Viewer)

Victor Soares

Hi All,

Need some help with this group of waders please - taken in Yorkshire UK in 2017

Thanks in advance
Victor

Attachments

• Unknown Wader.jpg
    Unknown Wader.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 212
This photo was taken on 3rd September 2017 ... does that make a difference? From my book the version of Spotted Redshank that would tie up with this would be Adult in Winter, which September is not?

This photo was taken on 3rd September 2017 ... does that make a difference? From my book the version of Spotted Redshank that would tie up with this would be Adult in Winter, which September is not?

No, they are Spotted Redshank. Strictly speaking when guide books describe ‘Adults in Winter’, (or ‘1st Winter’), they are referring to the ‘phase’ of plumage not the calendar months we would necessarily associate with Winter - many species of waders start to acquire their full Winter plumage prior to beginning migration in July/August. Juveniles also may have completed a post juvenile moult by August and already in a ‘first winter’ plumage also.

If I may clarify as well .... is this an image with both the Bar-tailed and the Black-tailed Godwits

Attachments

• Godwits01.jpg
    Godwits01.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 96
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back