• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightjar ID - Kruger Park, South Africa (1 Viewer)

adamt123

Hi

This nightjar was photographed on a night drive from Punda Maria camp in northern Kruger national park.

The guide said she thought it was a fiery necked nightjar, but wasn't 100% sure.

Thanks

Webp.net-resizeimage-7.jpg Webp.net-resizeimage-6.jpg

how many tail feathers does a Nightar have?

I'm sure that in most cases, you'd see the outer tail as here

https://twitter.com/Ben909/status/1096845864818147329

and here

https://africanbirdclub.org/afbid/search/birddetails/species/852/35731
Above all, I notice that the plumage is in poor condition, moulting.
The primaries are very worn out.
One can imagine that some tail feathers are absent or growing.
In any case, it happens, i think, between fossii and pectoralis.
Jean

I find Nightjar ID threads fascinating and daunting in equal measure! With the caveat that I bring recently acquired book knowledge only, there are a couple of questions with posing.

Is that a pale outer web running down the side of the tail?

Are those whitish tips to the secondaries?

And if they are, does that strengthen the case for fossii?

(Sits back in trepidation!)

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage-6.jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage-6.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 43
I find Nightjar ID threads fascinating and daunting in equal measure! With the caveat that I bring recently acquired book knowledge only, there are a couple of questions with posing.

Is that a pale outer web running down the side of the tail?

Are those whitish tips to the secondaries?

And if they are, does that strengthen the case for fossii?

(Sits back in trepidation!)

This could be a good sign but is it just artefact? I'd expect it to be far more obvious unless as you say, those feathers are missing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back