• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Horned Owl visit. (1 Viewer)

Sykesville1981

I have numerous owls around me, always hooting away.

Was on deck with telescope Friday evening, hear thud followed by air pounding sound. Swung around turned on headlamp massive Great Horned Owl had landed 6 or so feet from me on top railing / banging wings together and adjusting its feet.

After maybe ten seconds kind of gave me dirty look and flew off. I forgot headlamp was still on, probably didn't appreciate that.

Nothing in its talons, so not sure what it was up to. Maybe perches there some nights? No way it could've missed me, had telescope connected to laptop so I was completely lit up. Maybe a critter running along deck rail?

Only other close encounter was few years back when young Great Horned Owl glided down after bunny I was in yard with telescope, it missed bunny we just watched each other for a bit then slowly hopped away back into woods. Was first time seeing owl hop along ground.

Possible owls get comfortable with people out after dark regularly? Was awesome encounter regardless.

I had a similar encounter with a Barred Owl. Walking down a trail, saw something in a tree beside the trail, about 8 feet off the ground. From the distance, I thought it may be a hornet nest. As I got closer, it turned out to be a Barred Owl. I walked on and turned my head to watch as we passed. We were making eye to eye contact from about 10 feet. I went on down the trail and returned in a few minutes and we stared at each other again. I had visions of the owl landing on my head. Like your encounter, it was awesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back