• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WIN an Opticron MM2 52mm travelscope, 13-39x zoom eyepiece, case & tripod worth £400 (1 Viewer)

Well, the competition is now officially over :-(

We missed doing the draw in mid-October so I will ask the admin team to draw two names for the prizes.

Thanks to everyone that contributed. I'll post the final stats shortly.

Cheers, Pete

Congratulations to Allen from Farnborough

The overall competition winner is Allen who receives an MM2 52mm travel
scope kit worth £400.

Congrats to the winners :clap:

Wonder what Opticron have learnt from responses.

Is there any truth in the rumour that the MM2 will soon be available in the USA with the more politically correct name SCS (for "size challenged scope")?

Thanks again to all that took part.

The main reason for asking the questions as we did was to try to understand:

a) What potential market is there amongst existing scope owners for travel scopes?
b) Do we understand what people are willing to pay to become a scope owner?

The answers according to the survey are as follows:

a) 70% of those that own a scope do not have a second or travel scope
b) On average those that responded would expect to pay £400/$530/€480 for their first scope

The answer to a) surprised us a little as sales of travel scopes have slowed a little this year and we had assumed this was partly to do with "market saturation" i.e. everyone that owned a scope also owned a travel scope. This is clearly not the case.

The answer to b) is what we'd expected more or less. A typical "starter scope" package from Opticron will cost around £400 - this amount would get you an IS 60 ED WP with zoom eyepiece but no tripod (or a non-ED scope with a tripod). Assuming a spread above and below that number, we know there are many lower priced ED scopes coming out of China for between £200 and £300 and we can deliver a Japan-made non ED 66mm scope and zoom from £500.

@normjackson - No, the MM2 won't be sold in the US but watch this space for news of developments in the Opticron travelscope range both for Europe and the US as we head into the new year.

Happy to answer what other questions I can :)

Cheers, Pete

Pete, are you going to continue with two travel scopes (MM2 and GS52), or what is the idea here?

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back