• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATM vs ATS 80 (1 Viewer)

ATM/STM had a green helical focusser and a black lens hood.

ATS/STS have a black helical focusser and a green lens hood.

Bear in mind that there were non-HD versions of the ATM/STM and the old ATS/STS (pre ATM/STM) scopes.

The letters "HD" are on the helical focusser. Coatings will have seen improvements on more recent versions and the year of manufacture can be determined by adding the first two digits of the serial no. to 1930. IIRC the serial no is under the bayonet mount.

John

Yves

The answer regarding the serial numbering is 'Yes'

The AT/ST series was introduced in 1991, and the earliest I've observed is #G6146 00567
- so this dates from November (the 46th week) of 1991 (61 + 1930)
- and it's the 567th unit produced with 10 digit numbering *

On the AT and ST models the serial number is located on the base of the tripod mount (unlike the ATS/STS and later, where the number is inside the eyepiece mount)

* I suspect that the first AT/ST production may have been from before mid-August of 1991, when Swarovski's numbering pattern changed to the current version
If so, it would have had 8 digit (rather than 10 digit) numbering - with the first 4 numerals also indicating the year and week components
However with 8 digit numbering, the remaining 3 numerals did not indicate an ongoing cumulative total, but were confined to the week of production

John

p.s. for those interested, I've previously posted in detail about Swarovski's Alpha-Numeric numbering practices here: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=369004

Last edited:
THANKS JOHN !
Very Useful

I still have a general question for ATM/ATS.
I understood that Magnesium ATM series is a lighter evolution of ATS series. Is there any reason why Swarovski does not sell any longer ATM scopes (but only ATS?).
may be to not compete too closely to the ATX models?
Regards
Yves

Last edited:
Hi Yves,

we will never know for sure, but that was the speculation here a few years back when ATS reappeared. Bigger price difference to new top-dog ATX and also not that much lighter than the fairly chunky ATX.

Joachim

Specified weights as follows (ATM/ATS HD with 25-50x zoom):-

ATM 65/80 1315 g, 1525 g

ATS 65/80 1405 g, 1675 g

ATX 65/85/95 1585 g, 1910 g , 2150 g

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back