• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"a supremely bad idea" (1 Viewer)

brunop

i'm reading this right now. very funny and well-written book about birding in the us.

anyone else read this?

Yes, it is an improvement over To See Every Bird, as it is the actual birder writing. But it is still birder focused, and the actual birds play a minor role.

And I got through it. A local megabirder in his 80s wrote a book on birding over the world. It was a bit of a struggle to get through. Few birders are writers.

For those of us in the UK (and elsewhere) who might have to 'google' what our American friends here are talking about, I've posted brief details below.

A Supremely Bad Idea: Three Mad Birders and Their Quest to See It All written by Luke Dempsey is an account a journey around America in search of birds. It's described as “both a paean to avian beauty and a memoir of the back roads of America, A Supremely Bad Idea is a supremely fun comic romp: an environmentally sound This Is Spinal Tap with binoculars”.

The funniest book I've ever read on birding is by another American Joey Slinger. His 'Down and Dirty Birding' is a racier and funnier take on birding than Bill Oddie's 'Little Black Bird Book'. Unfortunately, nobody else I know seems to have read it!

The funniest book I've ever read on birding is by another American Joey Slinger. His 'Down and Dirty Birding' is a racier and funnier take on birding than Bill Oddie's 'Little Black Bird Book'. Unfortunately, nobody else I know seems to have read it!

Sorry John, it had to be me that also owns it. Does half reading it count? I couldn't finish it first time around, so on your advice have just dusted it off and tried again but still not exciting me, even though I admit I live by the mantra of steering clear of "people who think birdwatching is better than sex".

Pete Dunne almost has my vote, but still for me the funniest American book has to be 'A Field Guide to Little-Known and Seldom-Seen Birds of North America" by Sill, Sill and Sill- even if it didn't feature that woodpecker sp.

Actually, I have the book as well (Down & Dirty Birding) and I thought it hilarious!! It is one of my favorites! I have "A Supremely Bad IDea" as well and did enjoy it also. I agree that good birders don't always make good writers, but then I guess that statement covers anyone who fancies themselves a writer - regardless of topic!!
I have a another birding book called "Why Don't Woodpeckers Get Headaches?" by Mike O'Connor, a decent book full of good and sometimes odd questions that the author answers (also good and sometimes odd!). I would recommend a used copy at least. I was not so impressed with a book called "City Birding": True Tales of Birds and Birdwatching in Unexpected Places". It is a compilation of contributions from some very well known birders and some that weren't so well known (to me!). It did let me know that there were a few urban areas that make for good birding, places I would have NEVER considered. If you are interested, buy it used - not worth new price.

One of my favorites and It may have already been mentioned somewhere else in this forum, was "A Big Year: A Tale of Man, Nature, and Fowl Obsession" by Mark Obmascik. A definite good read. That made me decide to read "Chasing Birds Across Texas: A Birding Big Year" by mark Thomas Adams - average, buy used.

Pete Dunne almost has my vote, but still for me the funniest American book has to be 'A Field Guide to Little-Known and Seldom-Seen Birds of North America" by Sill, Sill and Sill- even if it didn't feature that woodpecker sp.

I have to agree, everytime I have that book in hand I always laugh at something :-O 3:)

I have a weakness for birding/travel books so I think I'll get a copy of 'A Supremely Bad Idea'. The best book on birding/travel (imo) is the late Phoebe Snetsinger's 'Birding On Borrowed Time'. I read it again and again. Phoebe was given a cancer death sentence but decided to spend her remaining time (numbered in months) to go travelling and birding. She beat the cancer (despite relapses) only to die, ironically, in a bus crash in Madagascar in 1999. Phoebe has been described in reviews as selfish and accused of 'abandoning' her dying mother (in truth she didn't as the old lady died as she [Phoebe] was driving home from the hospital, according to the book).

I am reading Birdwatchingwatching at the moment, and it is very funny, as it should be given Alex Horne is a comedian.

My copy arrived yesterday but as it's a birthday present I can't actually start reading it until next Wednesday! :-O I managed to sneak in the first couple of pages before Neil took it off me and it sounds good! :t:

The author, Alex Horne, was on Radio Newcastle a few weeks ago and the presenter, Alfie Joey, was saying how he'd gone out with his dad to look for Red Kites but couldn't find any. In Gateshead????? There's almost a hundred of them!!!! ;) :-O It was a good interview nonetheless :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back