Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ‚Äď Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

2018 Orchid Thread

Old Friday 11th May 2018, 12:31   #1
Rafeabrook

2018 Orchid Thread

Hi folks,
I've been waiting patiently to see if anyone else would start this for 2018 and now that the season is very much underway, I could wait no longer!
If there's a reason people don't want this, then happy to delete of course.
Would just be great to be able to update each other of developments in one place as per previous seasons.
I await your posts and am planning my first trips out to the usual haunts soon!
Rafe
Old Friday 11th May 2018, 15:48   #2
rmielcarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafeabrook View Post
Hi folks,
I've been waiting patiently to see if anyone else would start this for 2018 and now that the season is very much underway, I could wait no longer!
If there's a reason people don't want this, then happy to delete of course.
Would just be great to be able to update each other of developments in one place as per previous seasons.
I await your posts and am planning my first trips out to the usual haunts soon!
Rafe
I suspect most people now use the Native Orchids of Britain and Ireland group on Facebook - plenty of activity on there. There are also separate active groups for Kent and for Sussex

Rich M
Old Friday 11th May 2018, 19:52   #3
Dylan Edwards

What No Facebook !!

I too was waiting for the thread to open.....I have not been Orchid hunting for a couple of years but this year I was hoping to see as many species as i can .

Unfortunately i do not use FB so i was hoping this thread would be useful for flowering times and also reserve information ( obliviously no detailed directions unless by PM )

I recently visited Hartslock NR for the beautiful Monkey x Lady hybrid also seen on site Common Twayblade, at least 6 pure Monkey , Numerous White hellobrines in the copse ( stalks not even buds yet ) , Only 1 pure Lady though .

At least 8 butterfly species also on site .

Closer to North Wales i have only seen EPO and GWO at the SSSI Bryn Pydew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monkey:Lady hybrid .jpg
Views:	103
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	662243  
Old Friday 11th May 2018, 22:07   #4
rmielcarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Edwards View Post
Unfortunately i do not use FB
I don't use Facebook for anything else, I set up an account, under a pseudonym, purely to participate in the closed orchid groups. There really is a lot of good stuff on there, with lots of people actively participating.

Plenty of orchid information also on Twitter which you can read without having an account.

The thread on here has been declining over the last few years with hardly anyone posting last year.

Rich M
Old Saturday 12th May 2018, 22:40   #5
Rafeabrook

Had no idea about the Facebook group but have requested membership but the admins won't obviously see my Orchid interest on my profile, so if there are any viewing this, please let me in! :-)
Old Sunday 13th May 2018, 12:07   #6
rmielcarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafeabrook View Post
Had no idea about the Facebook group but have requested membership but the admins won't obviously see my Orchid interest on my profile, so if there are any viewing this, please let me in! :-)
Rafe

I've sent the group administrator a message asking to let you into the group.

Rich
Old Sunday 13th May 2018, 19:24   #7
Benjamin Ofield

Hi now that the Orchid season has finally started, is there any chance someone can dm me a site for Man Orchid not to far from Bristol. I’m not going to be able to make it to Kent this year and promised my two Daughters I would show them some.
Thanks Ben
Old Monday 14th May 2018, 09:29   #8
rmielcarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Ofield View Post
Hi now that the Orchid season has finally started, is there any chance someone can dm me a site for Man Orchid not to far from Bristol. Iím not going to be able to make it to Kent this year and promised my two Daughters I would show them some.
Thanks Ben
Being a predominantly eastern species I suspect there are no reliable Man orchid sites close to Bristol. Your best bet is that well known one in Worcs, Ufton Fields I think it's called.

Rich M
Old Wednesday 16th May 2018, 14:45   #9
Rafeabrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmielcarek View Post
Rafe

I've sent the group administrator a message asking to let you into the group.

Rich
Thanks Rich,

I made the cut!

Old Wednesday 16th May 2018, 18:51   #10
Bodhyfryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Edwards View Post
I too was waiting for the thread to open.....I have not been Orchid hunting for a couple of years but this year I was hoping to see as many species as i can .

Unfortunately i do not use FB so i was hoping this thread would be useful for flowering times and also reserve information ( obliviously no detailed directions unless by PM )

I recently visited Hartslock NR for the beautiful Monkey x Lady hybrid also seen on site Common Twayblade, at least 6 pure Monkey , Numerous White hellobrines in the copse ( stalks not even buds yet ) , Only 1 pure Lady though .

At least 8 butterfly species also on site .

Closer to North Wales i have only seen EPO and GWO at the SSSI Bryn Pydew
Good to see you posting again, Dylan. We too are very pleased to see this forum still alive. We do not use FB and do not purpose to do so. I had feared that this forum would die, so it is really good to see it alive and kicking - at least for us non-FB Luddites.

My own health precludes much fieldwork at the moment, but it is so good to see what others are finding.

Out of interest can anyone tell us the state of play of the Military Orchids at Homefield?

Martin
Old Wednesday 16th May 2018, 20:12   #11
Adey Baker

Quote:
Being a predominantly eastern species I suspect there are no reliable Man orchid sites close to Bristol. Your best bet is that well known one in Worcs, Ufton Fields I think it's called.

Rich M
Ufton Fields is in Warwickshire and access and parking are free: http://countryparks.warwickshire.gov...ature-reserve/

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 17th May 2018, 09:27   #12
bustersymes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhyfryd View Post

Out of interest can anyone tell us the state of play of the Military Orchids at Homefield?

Martin
At least some are out by the looks of it:
https://twitter.com/ChilternNature/s...96367110557696

(hopefully you can see this without a Twitter login)
Old Thursday 17th May 2018, 16:38   #13
dhpbwd
dhpbwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustersymes View Post
At least some are out by the looks of it:
https://twitter.com/ChilternNature/s...96367110557696

(hopefully you can see this without a Twitter login)
Hi

Was there at the weekend and there were a good number of Military and some Fly Orchids out in the second clearing. They were really only just starting in the field area at the front of the reserve. However it was great to see so many there even if they were in bud.
Old Thursday 17th May 2018, 19:33   #14
dungeness1

Decent numbers of Burnt Tip Orchid out today (200 plus) at Mount Caburn (East Sussex). The Orchids are actually to the North West of the summit, in the valley shown as Caburn Bottom on some maps, on the south facing side.
Old Thursday 17th May 2018, 19:56   #15
dungeness1

Good numbers of Lady and Fly Orchids at Yocklets Bank. Even greater numbers of Lady Orchids at Bonsai Bank.
Old Friday 18th May 2018, 16:47   #16
BimmyB

found a couple of Bird's Nest Orchids in a private site in Dorset yesterday (17/05/18) first time I've ever come across them, not overly excited by them either!
Old Sunday 27th May 2018, 14:18   #17
Zeffer

Just had a good morning in Warwickshire although very humid!

Eleven man orchids at the usual site with an abundance of greater butterfly, twayblade and common spotted.

Word of warning though, when taking a photo of a greater butterfly an adder came within a couple of inches of my hand as I moved the camera into position and spooked it. Never seen an adder move so fast - or myself for that matter!

Then a 20 minute journey to Draycote Meadows to see the swathes of green winged orchids, plus many common spotted. (Small coppers showing nicely too).

Waiting for lightning storms now, though canít be like last night, surely?

Didnít know about the Facebook group, but have sent a request. Not sure what they will see that proves I donít want to steel orchids though as I have to have tight settings because of my job.
Old Saturday 2nd June 2018, 09:54   #18
Bodhyfryd

Alyn Waters

We paid our first visit of the season to this site on Thursday. Plenty of Common Twayblades out and the first Common spotteds just coming. No sign of Bee orchids or pyramidals yet. What was surprising was to see very large numbers of stems of what we imagine will be Dune Helleborines on the Gwersyllt side - the most substantial populations are normally on the Llay side. It will be interesting to see how these develop.
Old Saturday 2nd June 2018, 20:31   #19
Dylan Edwards

With Cors Bodelio undergoing structural work at the moment , actually due to re-open this Monday . I visited Cors erddreiniog with the ex-warden , we found several Puglesy's Narrow leaved Marsh orchids amongst a few Early Marsh ..... We also found 6-9 Marsh Fritillaries butterflies ( a great place for this species )

A searched the area which was good for Fly Orchid and we only found one specimen ...

Though not relevant to this thread we also found a male and female Southern Damselfly a truly scarce and hard to find species found only in a tiny area of this wonderful reserve
Old Thursday 7th June 2018, 17:36   #20
GoneNative

Orchids for ID Please

Am struggling to ID these two, can anyone help please?

Pics were taken 5th/6th Jun 2018 and Location is the eastern edge of the Mendips, in Somerset. Both are within a couple of hundred meters of each other, in damp grassland, and height is about 13". Although plant 2 has striking bluish flowers I'm assuming they're the same species(?). Also, plant 1 is just upwind of a large colony of fuchsii and amongst them are several very large and robust specimens with leopard-spotted leaves, red flowers and wide lips - quite spectacular. I'm guessing these are hybrids of fuchsii and plant 1.

No Southern or Early Marsh are listed at the site and it's well-outside the Northern's range. Within a few miles are colonies of Southern Marsh but they are only just opening whereas these guys are in full flower and starting to set-seed. My first thoughts were Early Marsh but NBN shows sparse records for Somerset and the nearest report is some distance away - so it's got me stumped.

And ideas?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plant1_01.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	388.1 KB
ID:	665288  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plant1_02.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	665290  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plant1_03.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	665291  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plant2_01.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	665292  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plant2_02.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	665294  

Old Thursday 7th June 2018, 17:38   #21
GoneNative

Orchids for ID Please...

...and here's a close-up of the flowers on plant 2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plant2_03.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	665296  
Old Thursday 7th June 2018, 19:26   #22
rmielcarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Am struggling to ID these two, can anyone help please?

Pics were taken 5th/6th Jun 2018 and Location is the eastern edge of the Mendips, in Somerset. Both are within a couple of hundred meters of each other, in damp grassland, and height is about 13". Although plant 2 has striking bluish flowers I'm assuming they're the same species(?). Also, plant 1 is just upwind of a large colony of fuchsii and amongst them are several very large and robust specimens with leopard-spotted leaves, red flowers and wide lips - quite spectacular. I'm guessing these are hybrids of fuchsii and plant 1.

No Southern or Early Marsh are listed at the site and it's well-outside the Northern's range. Within a few miles are colonies of Southern Marsh but they are only just opening whereas these guys are in full flower and starting to set-seed. My first thoughts were Early Marsh but NBN shows sparse records for Somerset and the nearest report is some distance away - so it's got me stumped.

And ideas?
All Southern Marsh.

Flowering time can be variable, even between colonies that are not far apart. I monitor a number of colonies in NE Somerset, some started to flower in early May, others just starting this week.

Your large hybrids will be x grandis (CSO x SMO).

Can you PM me the site details, I live in the Chew Valley

Rich M
Old Friday 8th June 2018, 10:36   #23
GoneNative

Quote:
All Southern Marsh.

Flowering time can be variable, even between colonies that are not far apart. I monitor a number of colonies in NE Somerset, some started to flower in early May, others just starting this week.

Your large hybrids will be x grandis (CSO x SMO).

Can you PM me the site details, I live in the Chew Valley

Rich M
That's great! Thanks very much for your help, didn't realise SMOs were open so early.

Have sent you a pm.
Old Friday 8th June 2018, 13:07   #24
Bodhyfryd

New Quarry Reserve

We were delighted to be able to visit our local Minera Quarry for the first time under its new status as the Minera Quarry Nature Reserve. It is a work in progress but looks very promising and offers a wide range of wild orchids and other flora, as well as birds.

In a briefish visit of no more than two hours we found Northern Marsh, Southern Marsh, possible D x Venusta, Common Spotted in abundance, Common Twayblade both in flower and bud in very good numbers and best of all 8 diminutive frog orchids already in flower, indeed a couple beginning to go over, close to, but not exactly in, the location where we have previously seen them.

The photos were taken with a small compact camera - so a little below top standard!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Minera Quarry NNR board.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	519.5 KB
ID:	665364  Click image for larger version

Name:	Frogs at MQNNR  13.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	665365  Click image for larger version

Name:	Northern Marsh MQNNR  2.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	665366  Click image for larger version

Name:	Venusta possible at MQNNR .JPG
Views:	91
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	665367  Click image for larger version

Name:	Common Spotted MQNNR  3.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	665374  

Last edited by Bodhyfryd : Friday 8th June 2018 at 15:47.
Old Saturday 9th June 2018, 18:53   #25
Bodhyfryd

Alyn Waters update

We returned to AW Country Park this morning. A couple of Bee orchids were in flower, along with numerous D.fuchsii, one with slightly Rhodochilla-like appearance and N.ovata. We saw this trifoliate specimen - not uncommon but needs looking for even in a largish population. The Bee illustrated here, like many Bee orchids, had a slightly "different" appearance, the pointed tip of the lip not being recurved, and the "shoulders" apparently protruding a little more than usual. But unusual is not that unusual with O.apifera !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bee AWCP  6.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	665498  Click image for larger version

Name:	CSO red inside AWCP  2.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	665499  Click image for larger version

Name:	Trifoliate Common Twayblade AWCP  1.JPG
Views:	107