• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Favorite Georgia Birding Spot? (1 Viewer)

Sam Brunson

What is everyone's favorite birding spot?

Mine (even though not in Georgia but 1 mile from the border) is the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge. I saw 8 Roseate Spoonbills, a couple of Least Bitterns, and a Purple Gallinule. It is a great place to bird and I highly recommend it.

-Sam

Sam -
I haven't checked this forum in some time but I'm glad to see the activity. As kayaking birders, my wife and I have been to a few places on the Georgia coast as well as Okefenokee Swamp. One of our favorite destinations is Sapelo Island. It's a easy and friendly two hour paddle (with the tide of course!) and an interesting island to explore, not to mention the potential to find good shorebirds and Chacalachas. Careful arrangements can get a birder to pristine Blackbeard Island, which we did only once but would love to go back. A long paddle to a great birding spot past Sapelo is to Wolf Island. On our one visit there, we were impressed by solitude and bird life, not to mention a severe thunderstorm that caught us on a open beach!
Another spot we like near the coast is the Altamaha WMA. Least Bitterns are there also. I can also include Cumberland Island and Jeckyll Island which we like very much also and but it would be easier to say that the Georgia coast has many places we go back to repeatedly. Difficult then to choose a favorite.
We have done almost zero birding away from the coast but have been to Okefenokee Swamp a couple of times.

Steve

We usually go to Okefenokee Swamp. Birding is not very good where I live in Dalton, so on weekends we go 30 min up to chattanooga for quite good birding.

Although if you go to the tops of the little mountains here you can find scarlet tanagers during migration.

I'm new to Georgia (and very new to the forum) but I just discovered I'm only 9.5 miles from the Dalton Forest WMA. This past weekend, I picked up a couple of new birds there - Yellow-breasted Chat & Blue Grosbeak - so for now this is my favorite spot though I'm looking forward to a trip to Jekyll Island.

84texag -

Welcome to the Forum! I think you are right to be excited about Jeckyll Island. The bird feeders at the campground is a good place. Their setup inspired our own feeding area.
My wife and I have been to much of the Georgia coast, usually in conjunction with sea kayaking. The Altamaha Wildlife Refuge is another favorite spot but the most fun is going to Sapelo Island by ferry or as we have done a few times, by kayak. Do your homework - you need permission just to go there, but it is easy to get. Rent a bike and you can see a good portion of the island.
Then there's scenic Cumberland Island also accessible by ferry or kayak. These are just a few highlights of coastal Georgia. Too bad we're both up in the hills and most of a day's drive away!

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back