• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovski 8.5x42 vs habicht 10x40 wga (1 Viewer)

bockos

I wonder which of the two binos 8.5x42 sv ot 10x40 wga is preferrend for handhend use and which will give more detailed, pleasing, contraster and brighter image? Is there a difference in resolution? Thanks!

Last edited:
I own this binos. They don't play at the same level, EL8.5x42 gives a lot better image and provides premium overall quality, like the brighter image, contrast, CA deduction, bigger sweet spot, sharp edge and lots of others. On the other side, habicht 10x40 GA can not reach EL' image quality, not even closed, and its focusing wheel is a disaster, not a good bino for birding. However, habicht has the best price ratio, it has nearly 80% of EL' image but only selling of EL's half price.

I assume you are referring to the 8.5SV? Try both and see which ones you prefer. Trust yourself. It's the only viable answer to your question. Both of them are so good that visual acquity may play less of a role than ergonomics or the presentation of the view etc.

Do you wear glasses? How good/bad are your eyes?

For now, I have better than 20/20 vision and don't wear glasses. My pupils dilate to 6mm in a dimly lit optometrists room - still able to easily read. My IPD is 66mm. I have a medium to large nose bridge with medium depth eye sockets. I say all of this because your facial topography may also alter your visual experience far more than fancy lens coatings do.

I have both binoculars and prefer my newer model Habichts. To me, They're a bit brighter - look at their light transmission figures (has any Swarovski, zeiss or Leica, in history, exceeded this?) - and have a more neutral colour cast. Sharpness on axis is similar...maybe Habicht by a split hair. Habichts are a more analytical glass to me. I couldn't give a rats about sharpness at absolute edge of fov, and I dislike all of the distortions and the compromises that accompany achieving that sharp edge. I like the big old fashioned sweet spot.

My mother would prefer the 8.5SV. It has great easy generous eye relief and a slightly larger fov...and they're all easier to attain, giving quicker gratification.

Save even more cash and just get some 8x30 or 10x35 Nikon Ell...then move up from there if you perceive a genuine difference. Binocular performance peters out pretty fast above these nikons.

Rathaus

Last edited:
Definitely try them both yourself. The Habicht has excellent optics but I agree with Pippen in that the focus wheel is a disaster. I had all three Habicht's and IMO the focus wheel was to hard for birding but others differ. The SV is a lot user friendlier for most people.

I wonder which of the two binos 8.5x42 sv ot 10x40 wga is preferrend for handhend use and which will give more detailed, pleasing, contraster and brighter image? Is there a difference in resolution? Thanks!

Bockos,

Bulgaria may not present you opportunities to "test and see for yourself", but requesting everyone's opinions all of the time probably won't get you what YOU May Like either!

Over 50% of your post you created here on BF ask "Compare A to B" questions and you have maxed out your PM's. To me, seems like you have contracted the disease PA, "Paralysis by Analysis"!?

What is going to be Your USAGE with optics...what do You want them for...how much do You want to\are willing to spend??? Give the members here on BF answers to those questions first, then maybe we can narrow down some suggestions that could work for Your Eyes!!! :t:

Hope I don't offend you with this post, just meaning to be as efficiently helpful as possible! ;)

Ted

Thank you very much Ted for your comment and for the help. I have gathered enough information to make an appropriate choice. Thank you all of us for the great help!

I assume you are referring to the 8.5SV? Try both and see which ones you prefer. Trust yourself. It's the only viable answer to your question. Both of them are so good that visual acquity may play less of a role than ergonomics or the presentation of the view etc.

Do you wear glasses? How good/bad are your eyes?

For now, I have better than 20/20 vision and don't wear glasses. My pupils dilate to 6mm in a dimly lit optometrists room - still able to easily read. My IPD is 66mm. I have a medium to large nose bridge with medium depth eye sockets. I say all of this because your facial topography may also alter your visual experience far more than fancy lens coatings do.

I have both binoculars and prefer my newer model Habichts. To me, They're a bit brighter - look at their light transmission figures (has any Swarovski, zeiss or Leica, in history, exceeded this?) - and have a more neutral colour cast. Sharpness on axis is similar...maybe Habicht by a split hair. Habichts are a more analytical glass to me. I couldn't give a rats about sharpness at absolute edge of fov, and I dislike all of the distortions and the compromises that accompany achieving that sharp edge. I like the big old fashioned sweet spot.

My mother would prefer the 8.5SV. It has great easy generous eye relief and a slightly larger fov...and they're all easier to attain, giving quicker gratification.

Save even more cash and just get some 8x30 or 10x35 Nikon Ell...then move up from there if you perceive a genuine difference. Binocular performance peters out pretty fast above these nikons.

Rathaus

I forgot to add that (importantly for me) the 10x40 Habicht handles glare better than the 8.5SV or the smaller Habicht. The SV view towards sunset and especially post sunset gets too milky while the Habicht is crisper with better contrast. The canon 10x42 is astonishingly good in this environment....fujinon too, but that's a given.

Cheers,
Rathaus

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back