• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Musselburgh Lagoons surf scoter (1 Viewer)

hindleygreener

Hi i am visiting the Musselburgh lagoons on Saturday 2/2/19 morning hoping to see the Surf Scoter,could anyone help in where is best to go and what else may be around. I have never been before so any help appreciated. Mike

Hi Mike... have a look at The Opus article for the Musselburgh, which has some excellent information on it.

There are several lagoons, with three hides. They're concrete with no roof (or were the last time I was there). The access road was full of potholes so take care.

The scoters will be off shore, so simply walk along the path to the coastal path. A great place. Enjoy.

Not far away is Aberlady bay.

Hopefully someone else will be able to give you more detailed info about where to see the scoters.

Hi Delia thanks for that, up for the horse racing so if its on will have the morning if not then all day so hopefully will get a chance of a good walk around.Are you aware if the Scoters are affected by the tides.

Hi Mike, I take it you will be using a scope, as usually the Scoters are a good bit out, Check the tide times for Leith for the day you are arriving and try and get there about an hour before high tide.
good luck.

Hi i am visiting the Musselburgh lagoons on Saturday 2/2/19 morning hoping to see the Surf Scoter,could anyone help in where is best to go and what else may be around. I have never been before so any help appreciated. Mike

It can turn up anywhere between Portobello and The Scrapes but it is most reliable from the eastern side of the Esk, from the track that follows the sea wall. Look west towards Leith, a scope may be required.

No sign of the White-winged since October. If the weather is calm and sunny then it will be good for other sea ducks, auks, divers and grebes, including black-necked at the moment.

David

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's comments.From Birdforum changed my plans and tried from Gullane and missed out as they were to far offshore and hundreds of Common. Had a great day though and the Shorelarks made up for the dip. Always next time thats birding. Mike

Thanks for everyone's comments.From Birdforum changed my plans and tried from Gullane and missed out as they were to far offshore and hundreds of Common. Had a great day though and the Shorelarks made up for the dip. Always next time thats birding. Mike

Surfie off the sea wall at the Esk Mouth at 3pm this afternoon.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back