• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pigeon problem (1 Viewer)

pewe

We live on a new development where three houses (ours and 2 neighbours) front on to a public open space which is grassed.

One of our neighbours has taken it on himself to spread bird food on the open space to attract pheasants.
The problem is he has managed to create a pigeon colony instead (about 30-40 at a time).

As well as the mess the pigeons create on the our cars and the grass, it now means I cannot exercise my dog on the grass area as he is prone eat pigeon poo (as many dogs are inclined to do and which can be fatal to some) as well as roll in it.

Before I approach this individual (who has a very superior attitude) to ask him to contain his feeding ritual to his garden and leave the open space for others to enjoy, I have to consider my approach to be as neighbourly as possible.

How would you guys go about it.

What he's doing is probably a health hazzard as you suggest and your local council would probably get involved on that basis, even if he were only feeding in his own garden.

I did contact local environmental health and they suggested speaking to the Management company that manages the open space - unfortunately he is a director of the management company.

So I thought the first step is to have a word with him as environmental health said it is not illegal to put out bird food and as long as there has been no 'evidence' of it causing health problems they can't do much !!!!!!!!!!

It would be useful if there were some published guidelines from official organisations condemning the spreading of food to attract birds on open spaces - which in our case started with pheasants, then pigeons now rooks and how long before gulls and then rats.

The Management company has now also created a 'gardening club' to save money by not having to pay a professional gardener, and this weekend they created a massive open compost heap for the weeds and other waste from trimming bushes and trees etc. After one weekend this is now 6 feet wide, 3 feet deep and 4 feet high, the back and sides are made up of pallets and the front is open. Apparently (according to planning) there is nothing to stop them doing this either.

Look on the bright side; in a couple of years you will have access to lots of lovely, free compost for your garden.

Look on the bright side; in a couple of years you will have access to lots of lovely, free compost for your garden.

In the meantime the dogs and children on the development could have health problems.
Dogs love to eat and roll in pigeon, pheasant and fox poo, and pigeon poo is poisonous to dogs - it can even be fatal for them if ingested.
Dried pigeon poo, if disturbed by children playing, can cause respiratory problems and can be nasty for asthma sufferers.
A high price to pay for a handful of compost.

I think you need to be telling all that to the individual who is feeding the birds.

I think you need to be telling all that to the individual who is feeding the birds.

I did, politely, at the weekend. He told me to **** off and mind my own business, as I suspected might be his reaction - now I have to come up with a plan B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back