• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I've moved a Birdbox with baby birds - (1 Viewer)

It is possible to move some nests in an emergency without the parents deserting. It depends on species and at what stage the nest is at, but if it really has to be done the best chances of success are if the nest is moved (at least initially) in several very small steps. I’ve had to move blue tits, starlings, owls and saddleback over the years. I heard of an eagles nest that was moved successfully hundreds of feet in Montana.

Yes, well they should.

Birds do select nesting spots taking into account they direction the sun is coming from, so the box won't overheat etc. Also that they have some cover nearby to land on so they can check all is safe before they take food in. They also need to be sure there is somewhere their bairns can go to safely when they fledge.

You wouldn't think all that was possible in such a small bird, would you?

You could help them perhaps, by providing some meal worms, this would give the parents some easy to find food for both themselves and the nestlings. Remember they wont feed on the ground.

What truly amazing little creatures! I will get some mealworms for them as want to help in any way I can, without too much interference. Thank you for your kind support Delia

It is possible to move some nests in an emergency without the parents deserting. It depends on species and at what stage the nest is at, but if it really has to be done the best chances of success are if the nest is moved (at least initially) in several very small steps. I’ve had to move blue tits, starlings, owls and saddleback over the years. I heard of an eagles nest that was moved successfully hundreds of feet in Montana.

Wow this is good to hear, I read up on moving nests before I did it obviously and had read some cases of it being done... but then started panicking after a few hours when the parents disappeared and thats when I turned to this forum for advise. So they are moved back now with fierce predators waiting underneath.... It has been turmoil for me knowing what to do for the best!

Thank you Delia & Foggin for being there for me last night and giving great advice. I moved the nest back at midnight and pleased to let you know this morning the parents are back, happily chirping away and feeding their babies. Thank you again, it may have been a different story without your advice x

Oh, I am so very happy to hear this Teddy. It put a huge smile on my face when reading it. ;) ;)

BTW, just call me KC ;)

An update today: They have all flown away! ... apart from 1 :-( We have 1 little baby blue tit still in the box. He's breathing and looking around but for some reason they are not coming back for him. I'll peek again in the morning but he is very tiny (half the size that the others grew to) so maybe they just decided that he wasn't going to make it?

That's brilliant news TBH! It is possible that last one may not make it. If he's as small as you say, there could well be something wrong with him.

Casualties are high in this species, which is why the brood is so large, they really only need to get one fledgling to succeed through to breeding next year for them to maintain their population (at least I think I have that right... maybe it's two?).

Thanks so much for letting us know that the rest are all safely away. Did you actually see them leaving?

Good morning, I've just been to check on little fella and he's gone! I'm absolutely amazed and feeling fantastic today. I didn't see them leaving, I did hear commotion a couple of times yesterday, chirping and flapping, and went out to look and checked the tree but couldn't see anything. Can I remove the netting now do you think or do they ever come back to the nest?
Thank you for all your help and being there for me through this amazing time. I feel like a new mum! :D :D

Oh that's good he's finally left.

Yes, you can remove the netting now, they won't be back, they feed up in the trees on caterpillars mostly. The parents will feed them until they're fully independent.

Now you need to decide what to do for next year. Leave the set up as it is, or move the box with the risk it might not suit them where you put it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back