• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue flycatcher from Vietnam (1 Viewer)

orientaldkf

Hi all, saw this blue flycatcher in Nam Cat Tien National Park in South Vietnam. Wondering if it could be a Pale Blue/Hainan Blue/White-tailed Flycatcher? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• DSC_1056.jpg
    DSC_1056.jpg
    838.2 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_1051.jpg
    DSC_1051.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 43
Its a male Cuckooshrike, either an Indochinese (resident) or a Black-winged (winters) but the images are very poor quality making assessment less than straightforward. The white tips to the underside of the tail appear quite extensive, virtually overlapping, which would suggest Indochinese but I am by no means certain. Black-winged typically shows clear black between the white tips but the angle is making it difficult to assess with certainty.

Grahame

Last edited:
Both of you are right, it's a cuckooshrike and seems to be an Indochinese. Will try to check other photos for better angles. The tail did throw me off but somehow I was fixated on it being a flycatcher.

First of all, I know HBW states that Black-winged is a non-breeding visitor to Cat Tien, but I saw it there in late May last year. I'll ask my Vietnamese birding friend if he's seen it in the breeding season.

There are some images on the net of Black-winged with extensive white tips to the undertail feathers, e.g. this one: https://www.hbw.com/ibc/photo/black...alage-melaschistos/black-winged-cuckoo-shrike. However, as Grahame mentioned, the tips don't seem to overlap on this species.

Overall I would slightly favour Indochinese but am not sure.

Can you say why?
male black winged cuckooshrike have blackish wings(include secondaries) forming more contrasty to upperparts especially the rump
this bird has grey wing,secondaries with broad grey edges and more white on tips of rectrices

male black winged cuckooshrike have blackish wings(include secondaries) forming more contrasty to upperparts especially the rump

I think this would depend on the lighting in the image.

Unfortunately I don't have much better angles, bird was rather high up in the tree. Would be interested to know if black-winged can be found there during the breeding season.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back