• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea Thread (4 Viewers)

I have had an interesting morning. I awoke to thick fog, and as is often the case, it had brought birds in to the platform. On the Pipe Deck I found a warbler type. I was only getting fleeting glimpses of it, but enough to eliminate Chiffchaff, Willow and Garden, but not enough to identify it. It plain and olive coloured, and at one point I thought I got a glimpse of orange in the legs.

Also on the Pipedeck, in a roofed area between two offices, I got a glimpse of a bird that I thought had an eyestripe. I also picked up a distinctive orange/pink breast. I think Whinchat, which would have been a platform first, but again, I didn't get enough of it to be sure.

By this point I was feeling decidedly frustrated, especially as other birds had been seen flitting about at distance, but I never got close enough to ID them. Later in the morning however, I returned to the Pipedeck. The fog had now been replaced by heavy rain. Peering up into the drilling derrick, I spotted a bird perched on a handrail, but was only getting a view of its underparts. I crossed the deck to a position where I could see the handrail from the outside of the derrick, and was able to pick out my bird with my monocular. Viewing was brief before it flew off, but it was enough to identify a Spotted Flycatcher. That is the first live Spotted Flycatcher I've recorded here. Last year our first ever record was a deceased bird, so I am happy to get a bird off the dead only list.

One Robin also seen today, and a report of a possible Wren reached me.

2019 Platform List

1. Great Black-Backed Gull
2. Kittiwake
3. Iceland Gull
4. Herring Gull
5. Fulmar
6. Gannet
7. Guillemot
8. Ringed Plover
9. Rock Pipit
10. Robin
11. Pied Wagtail*
12. Meadow Pipit
13. Goldcrest
14. Grey Heron
15. Common Gull
16. Black-Headed Gull
17. Blackcap*
18. Sparrowhawk*
19. Grey Wagtail
20. Kestrel*
21. Carrion Crow
22. Water Rail
23. Song Thrush
24. Wren
25. Teal
26. Turnstone*
27. Cormorant
28. Lesser Black-Backed Gull
29. Swallow
30. Nightjar (d)
31. House Martin
32. Spotted Flycatcher

Last edited:
Just after lunchtime yesterday, my day got even better. A " small hawk" was reported to me. "Kestrel size", I asked. "No, smaller", came the reply. It was half an hour before I had the opportunity to head out for a look, so I was not hopeful of finding anything. Approaching the area where the bird had been seen, a Robin flew off, but that was not going to be described as a "small hawk". Approaching the scaffold rack on the south side of the platform, I looked up from the walkway, and there was a bird, sitting hunched up in the rain.

Grabbing a few initial photos, I edged my way closer, but the bird took to the air. I had seen a longish tailed bird in the air just before lunch, but it was distant and headed away, so went unidentified. I now think it was this same bird.

The bird did not fly far through the teeming rain, but landed further down the walkway on a handrail. A few more photos were taken before the bird headed off out of sight. Later in the day, I saw the bird again up at the accommodation block.

I knew the sighting was a good one, as I didn't recognise the bird at first sight. I was pretty sure it was a Shrike, but I had to check the photo against online pictures before I was willing to make the call of Red-Backed Shrike, and even then I checked on the ID pages of this forum.

A new bird to me, and only the fourth recorded by the NSBC, so my rarest offshore bird to date.:t:

2019 Platform List

2. Kittiwake
3. Iceland Gull
4. Herring Gull
5. Fulmar
6. Gannet
7. Guillemot
8. Ringed Plover
9. Rock Pipit
10. Robin
11. Pied Wagtail*
12. Meadow Pipit
13. Goldcrest
14. Grey Heron
15. Common Gull
16. Black-Headed Gull
17. Blackcap*
18. Sparrowhawk*
19. Grey Wagtail
20. Kestrel*
21. Carrion Crow
22. Water Rail
23. Song Thrush
24. Wren
25. Teal
26. Turnstone*
27. Cormorant
29. Swallow
30. Nightjar (d)
31. House Martin
32. Spotted Flycatcher
33. Red-Backed Shrike

Attachments

• Red-Backed Shrike RSZ.jpg
    Red-Backed Shrike RSZ.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 66
That's a great record, looks like an adult female. Also your cormorant on the 5/6 doesn't look quite right - the brownish plumage looks a better fit for shag - any more images?

Also your cormorant on the 5/6 doesn't look quite right - the brownish plumage looks a better fit for shag - any more images?

I never saw the bird with it's head out from under its wing. I did consider Shag, but looking at the photo again, you may be right. I'll stick the photo on the ID page to canvas opinion. :t:

Also your cormorant on the 5/6 doesn't look quite right - the brownish plumage looks a better fit for shag - any more images?

I never saw the bird with it's head out from under its wing. I did consider Shag, but looking at the photo again, you may be right. I'll stick the photo on the ID page to canvas opinion. :t:

Confirmed as a Shag. Many thanks for that. :t:

2019 List

2. Kittiwake
3. Iceland Gull
4. Herring Gull
5. Fulmar
6. Gannet
7. Guillemot
8. Ringed Plover
9. Rock Pipit
10. Robin
11. Pied Wagtail*
12. Meadow Pipit
13. Goldcrest
14. Grey Heron
15. Common Gull
16. Black-Headed Gull
17. Blackcap*
18. Sparrowhawk*
19. Grey Wagtail
20. Kestrel*
21. Carrion Crow
22. Water Rail
23. Song Thrush
24. Wren
25. Teal
26. Turnstone*
27. Cormorant
29. Swallow
30. Nightjar (d)
31. House Martin
32. Shag
33. Spotted Flycatcher
34. Red-Backed Shrike

Last edited:
Well, that is another trip over. Just before leaving, I filed my report with the NSBC recorder, and last minute, I made a difficult alteration. I put the Spotted Flycatcher down as an uncertain. There has been a slight doubt in my mind over this bird since I saw it. My first view of it was only of its vent area. When I repositioned, I could see it face on only, and this in poor light and heavy rain, at distance through a monocular. I was comfortable at the time with my ID, or so I thought, but there has been a wee niggle growing over since.

The niggle I had was that when the bird flew off, it was a little dark backed for Spotted Fly. I'm probably throwing away a perfectly good spot, but for the sake of peace of mind, and accuracy, I've put it down as a possible, and removed it from my year list.

I should also make mention of the Carrion Crows that were on the platform when I arrived. Three weeks later, they were still there, and they were reportedly there for at least a week before I arrived. They had obviously found a food source, so a bit of investigation was called for. At first I though someone was feeding them, but it turned out that they were raiding the food waste skip on the Skid Deck. They just drop into the skip, rip the polythene bags, and tuck in.

We used to have a macerator for food waste, but that has gone. It was a covered unit, so gave no opportunity to winged bandits. The open skip is the new way of returning food waste onshore. I have had the catering crew and deck crew warned, that come the autumn, when a couple of thousand GBB and Herring Gulls turn up, they are going to have a real problem with that skip. :eek!:

2019 List

2. Kittiwake
3. Iceland Gull
4. Herring Gull
5. Fulmar
6. Gannet
7. Guillemot
8. Ringed Plover
9. Rock Pipit
10. Robin
11. Pied Wagtail*
12. Meadow Pipit
13. Goldcrest
14. Grey Heron
15. Common Gull
16. Black-Headed Gull
17. Blackcap*
18. Sparrowhawk*
19. Grey Wagtail
20. Kestrel*
21. Carrion Crow
22. Water Rail
23. Song Thrush
24. Wren
25. Teal
26. Turnstone*
27. Cormorant
29. Swallow
30. Nightjar (d)
31. House Martin
32. Shag
33. Red-Backed Shrike

On earlier subject of Hobby 1 on rig half way between Orkney & Norway last week plus usual Spring migs. They do occur in spring offshore but remain rare in Northern Scotland. Have seen more offshore than in NE Scotland.

I've been back since Tuesday, but it is very quiet, even considering the time of year. In 5 days I've only seen 3 species. There is a resident flock of Fulmar; numbering just over the 100 mark. The odd Gannet or two have been seen passing. And we still have two resident crows.

There were a few "small brown birds, with streaky breasts" reported to me a couple of days ago. I suspect they were Meadow Pipits, but did not see them myself.

The North Sea Bird Club has now informed me that they are wrapping things up at the end of 2019. Apparently, I am the last offshore birder sending in constant reports, so after 40 years they are calling it a day.

I of course will continue to report here, and hopefully, a few other reports from other platforms/vessels will find their way to this thread. In addition, a few years ago, I got the guys at Birdtrack (BTO) to set the platform up as a site on Birdtrack. I never really used it, as it felt like double reporting, however, from the beginning of next year, I will start recording on their site.

Out looking today on deck and nothing. Will be having a good look around over the next week. Any passerines seen at this time of year are more often than not Xbills. Hopefully this time with wing bars.

It has been pretty quiet since my last report (6th Jul). The main change has been two Great Skua sightings. We have also had a few Starlings passing through, and Common Gulls have been turning up off and on. Over the last couple of days, Great Black-Backed Gulls have started to return. A dozen counted yesterday. I suspect our two resident Carrion Crows might want to be leaving soon, as a couple of hundred GBBGs will make the neighbourhood much less desirable. Fulmars are a constant, with Gannets passing by on a regular basis

On the mammal front, we have had plenty of White-Beaked Dolphins giving spectacular displays, and I spotted a Minke Whale breaching at close quarters a few days ago.

A Red Admiral was our second butterfly species of the year.

Sadly, no Two-Barred Crossbills, but I live in hope. :t:

My last morning of this trip has seen a new arrival. Arctic Skua spotted close in chasing a Common Gull.

It has been a slow month, but I'm pleased to have got Great and Arctic Skua. The Arctic is only the second one I've seen from the platform. Next trip will be in the the first two weeks of September, so things should be livening up.:t:

I've been back since yesterday, and things have livened up a bit compared to last month. Flying in, we passed over a group of dolphins, so that was a good start, but within a few hours, I bettered it with a Minke Whale surfacing almost directly below me before it dived under the platform.

There are more birds about also. Fulmar flock of approx 120+ are still resident, but the GBBG numbers are rising, with 54 counted today. Yesterday saw a flock of 76 Kittiwake sitting off the platform. I think that is a record count for us.

A few Common Gulls about also, and a single Herring Gull. Gannets passing on a regular basis. Last bird of the day yesterday was a Great Skua.

Today, the main difference has been a pair of passing Cormorants.

Nothing in there to trouble the year list, however, a few days before I came out, an eclipse Eider was seen. :t:

And lastly, our two resident crows (Itchy and Scratchy) are still here.

2019 List

2. Kittiwake
3. Iceland Gull
4. Herring Gull
5. Fulmar
6. Gannet
7. Guillemot
8. Ringed Plover
9. Rock Pipit
10. Robin
11. Pied Wagtail*
12. Meadow Pipit
13. Goldcrest
14. Grey Heron
15. Common Gull
16. Black-Headed Gull
17. Blackcap*
18. Sparrowhawk*
19. Grey Wagtail
20. Kestrel*
21. Carrion Crow
22. Water Rail
23. Song Thrush
24. Wren
25. Teal
26. Turnstone*
27. Cormorant
29. Swallow
30. Nightjar (d)
31. House Martin
32. Shag
33. Red-Backed Shrike
34. Eider*

Last edited:
Nothing new in, but a few changes. GBBGs are now resident in numbers, with a high of 322 counted yesterday. The air is full of feather fluff with the gulls in moult mode. The Fulmars have beaten a hasty retreat, but are still present further out from the platform. A small flock of Common Gulls present, with visits from Kittiwakes, and Gannets continually passing in ones and twos.

Great Skuas are regular visitors now, much to the disgust of the Fulmars and Common Gulls.

Two Carrion Crows show no sign of being ousted by the GBBGs.

Attachments

• DSCF2100 rsz.jpg
    DSCF2100 rsz.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 44
A few small birds about over the last few days. Yesterday, I got a glimpse of something very small and greyish, but no ID possible. I suspect it might have been a Chiffchaff though.

A few small non-descript birds reported by the Deck Crew on the day before yesterday.

Also seen yesterday, as some may have seen from the Bird ID pages, I spotted a GBBG thrashing a Snipe about on the steelwork of the Spider Deck. I suspect that the bird may have been sitting exhausted down there, making an easy target for the dozens of GBBGs that roost down there at the moment.

2019 List

2. Kittiwake
3. Iceland Gull
4. Herring Gull
5. Fulmar
6. Gannet
7. Guillemot
8. Ringed Plover
9. Rock Pipit
10. Robin
11. Pied Wagtail*
12. Meadow Pipit
13. Goldcrest
14. Grey Heron
15. Common Gull
16. Black-Headed Gull
17. Blackcap*
18. Sparrowhawk*
19. Grey Wagtail
20. Kestrel*
21. Carrion Crow
22. Water Rail
23. Song Thrush
24. Wren
25. Teal
26. Turnstone*
27. Cormorant
29. Swallow
30. Nightjar (d)
31. House Martin
32. Shag
33. Red-Backed Shrike
34. Eider*
35. Snipe (d)

Last edited:
New list entry

It has been a very quiet trip, with little in the way of migratory birds evident. This week a robin was reported to me, and I was called to a moribund Mipit. Gull numbers have fluctuated, but we have been up over the 500 mark with GBBGs.

Yesterday however, I was called to something a little more interesting. I was informed that there were 3-4 "small gulls with slim wings", on the north side of the platform. It took me several minutes to locate them over the sea, but the birds were obviously terns. Whatever species they were, they were going to be new to the platform, as I've never seen a tern out here before. A bit of scrutiny, and I was sure they were Arctics. I had to leave them to attend a meeting, but later I relocated them, and a much closer view of one of them confirmed my original ID.

2019 List

2. Kittiwake
3. Iceland Gull
4. Herring Gull
5. Fulmar
6. Gannet
7. Guillemot
8. Ringed Plover
9. Rock Pipit
10. Robin
11. Pied Wagtail*
12. Meadow Pipit
13. Goldcrest
14. Grey Heron
15. Common Gull
16. Black-Headed Gull
17. Blackcap*
18. Sparrowhawk*
19. Grey Wagtail
20. Kestrel*
21. Carrion Crow
22. Water Rail
23. Song Thrush
24. Wren
25. Teal
26. Turnstone*
27. Cormorant
29. Swallow
30. Nightjar (d)
31. House Martin
32. Shag
33. Red-Backed Shrike
34. Eider*
35. Snipe (d)
36. Arctic Tern

A few birds last couple of days on Eko Kilo. Not able to have a good look as very busy.
Yesterday Robin, Garden W, Song Thrush, Blackcap, Rb Fly. hopefully more today as conditions are still poor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back