• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Make your own simple sight (aiming) device for telescopes: illustrated instructions (1 Viewer)

Kimmo. Experiment over and the rifle sight straight tip is, indeed, much more accurate than the small circle. Very effective. Thanks.

I use a similar device for digiscoping and find it indispencable. A wire with a screw at one end and bead at the other end. When I get in an area I intend to work I screw the sight into a retainer held to the scopes shade with a rubber band. I wear trifocals and sight over the extend-a-view to locate then move my eye down to focus. A great time saver to allow more time for focusing.

I'm a little late to the party, but I have to comment about the usefulness of this thread. Just great, thank you.

Ronald, your art work is terrific. Concise, descriptive, and entertaining.
It very much reminds me of the artwork in
"How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive", by John Muir which is a drop dead classic (at least here in the US) and a must have manual for any owner of an air cooled VW.

Thank you for your efforts here Ron and Kimmo, it's much appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm a little late to the party, but I have to comment about the usefulness of this thread. Just great, thank you.

Ronald, your art work is terrific. Concise, descriptive, and entertaining.
It very much reminds me of the artwork in
"How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive", by John Muir which is a drop dead classic (at least here in the US) and a must have manual for any owner of an air cooled VW.

Thank you for your efforts here Ron and Kimmo, it's much appreciated!

Kevin,

Thanks very much for the compliment!
I'm not familiar with the John Muir classic; you wouldn't happen to have a link to this Volkswagen artwork, would you?
Or better, I'll google it myself, should be able to find it, no doubt.

This year I'm kind of celebrating my 20 years as a comics artist, a career I never imagined possible. But I'm doing fine, just had that stroke of luck 20 years ago that made me realise that drawing was what I wanted to do.
And to make a living of it, naturally.

The scope has gone, I have to say, sold it and bought Canon 18x50 IS bins that are much more comfortable. Still, the cable tie sighting is brilliant in its simplicity.
Would I ever change my mind and go for an angled scope again, I most certainly would buy cable ties again, they're indispensable.

All the best,

Ronald

Kevin,

Thanks!

I had a good laugh about the poor guy in his bed.
Very good artist, he clearly knows what he's doing.

Good night, I'm going to do some work myself. Deadline's approaching...

Regards,

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back