• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kensington Tawny Owl Help (1 Viewer)

BrockwellBee

Having discovered through various local birders that there are a couple of resident Tawny Owls located in Kensington Gardens, I decided a couple of weeks ago to visit them on two occasions (with the help of instructions). However, either through bad orienteering skills of bad luck, I could not find them. Could someone point me in the right direction on where to be looking? I would really like to see the birds at some point as I live very local.

Many Thanks,

CE

Some photos on here might help give you a clue

http://hpkg.blogspot.com/
and more here
http://hpkg.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html

I'm sure that Des has posted fairly precise instructions on how to locate the tree/trees somewhere on his blog, but I can't find it right now - I have an email squirreled away somewhere at home.

Personally I last visited the park in early Dec and I managed to find them easilly enough - although the two birds were perched on a branched and partially obscured by leaves, rather in the more obvious roost location indicated in the photos.

On the 3 or 4 times that I have visited the park and located the birds (all during 2010), I dont think that I have seen them in the same spot, but they have all been in the group of tree close to the particular one pictured

Thanks for the help (and the tip off about the other Tawnys). What I usually do when I visit Hyde Park is go to Lancaster Gate, go down Lancaster Walk but not as far as the statue. The instructions indicate some chestnuts trees. Are they the trees directly beside the path (i.e. the first row of trees :-Clooking towards Round Pond) or further into that field?

Thanks for the help (and the tip off about the other Tawnys). What I usually do when I visit Hyde Park is go to Lancaster Gate, go down Lancaster Walk but not as far as the statue. The instructions indicate some chestnuts trees. Are they the trees directly beside the path (i.e. the first row of trees :-C looking towards Round Pond) or further into that field?

As you get close to the statue, the birds are normally in the are on the right towards the Round pond, but closer to centre of that green patch bordered by the 3 paths. If you look up in those trees, I'm sure that you will be able to spot the one featured in those photographs.

The LNHS offers the odd bird walks in Hyde Park, though I can't see one listed in the current schedule of events - that's where the birds were first pointed out to me.

http://www.lnhs.org.uk/program.htm

The location is a little hard to describe but the tree is quite distinctive if you manage to get to the right spot. It's a big Horse Chestnut that at it's top the trunk flattens off and bends to the left, it's a bit further in than the first sort of row of trees and it's about in the middle of that triangle. I've also seen owlets in the trees right next to the path calling so keep looking whilst you're walking towards the area.

I'm there right now. The tree was much easier to find than I was expecting, and one owl is snoozing nicely with its head poking out.

Last edited:
Nice spot. I am planning on visiting at the weekend to photograph them for a few hours. You are welcome to join me if you want to see them some more? - you clearly enjoyed their company!

Hi, I'm not a London birder but I visit there often, and I too want to track them down... would going to RSPB 'Meet the wise owls of Kensington Gardens' be a good chance to see them?

Yes it is a good place to find them. I actually went out a few weeks ago and found an adult perched in the usual spot. Going to the event would give you a great chance to see these wonderful birds. :)

Tawny Owl near Barnes Station

for those who are interested recently i have heard and seen close up on one occasion a Tawny Owl near Barnes Station (path leading to Gypsy Lane). Not sure whether there is a nest there but you stand a good chance of spotting/hearing at c7.30 - 8.00pm

I live in Putney so I might go along and check that out, Deronte. Thanks.

I returned to Kensington Gardens on Sunday afternoon with a friend because she wanted to see the owls too, but the wet weather was keeping them away - I assume they were hidden in the tree hollow. If the weather is good this weekend I might try to get back over there.

1 Adult and 1 owlet seen this morning between 06:45 and about 08:00, when I had to leave for work.

Both birds attracting a bit of attention from both passerines and corvids. The adult abandoned the youngster and left it alone in a tree, from where 4 noisy crows eventually drove it to fly down to the ground. The bird then sheltered by the foot of one of the nearby trees, where I managed to grab some photos of it. The poor thing was then harassed by a collection of Chaffinch, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Starling and Blackbird which gathered on the lower branches and made a lot of noise. The bird then flew off a short distance into an open area surrounded by the larger trees.

I have my fingers crossed that it manages to get back into one of the trees safely.

They were there yesterday, both adults. The young ones were higher up and covered by leaves - no clear shot with the lens..

Popped along this morning and saw one of the adults - 6-7 but no sign of the owlets... perhaps a bit cold and early??

Anyone know what time of day is best to see the young ones?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back