Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

How to cope with coronavirus

Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 19:16   #76
Sancho
BF Supporter 2020

Very bad news from Italy today. And the UK is finally closing schools from Friday (why not tomorrow?). Here we are not on lockdown but our PM made an address to the nation lastnight trying to get across the severity of the situation. Social Distancing, etc. is growing, not many shops open apart from Pharmacies and Supermarkets. Bars and Restaurants shut. Unemployment set to go sky-high. PM described this to us as the calm before the storm, that will be followed by a surge. I imagine lockdown will come soon, because by all accounts today, too many people still don't "get" Social Distancing.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 19:50   #77
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
Very bad news from Italy today. And the UK is finally closing schools from Friday (why not tomorrow?). Here we are not on lockdown but our PM made an address to the nation lastnight trying to get across the severity of the situation. Social Distancing, etc. is growing, not many shops open apart from Pharmacies and Supermarkets. Bars and Restaurants shut. Unemployment set to go sky-high. PM described this to us as the calm before the storm, that will be followed by a surge. I imagine lockdown will come soon, because by all accounts today, too many people still don't "get" Social Distancing.
Myself and the girlfriend are now being pretty careful, and don't have much contact with others now (we're currently on a 2 week 'holiday' at home). Had someone collect a couple of boxes of books off me after their work today. They had been working in a charity shop all day and were really rather non-plussed about the whole thing. Reminded them shaking hands was probably not a good idea etc etc ...
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 21:47   #78
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Quote:
I imagine lockdown will come soon, because by all accounts today, too many people still don't "get" Social Distancing.
I really don't understand how my supposedly intelligent manager colleagues don't see the need to work from home. The lab technicians and plant operators "must" be on site, so to make it safer for them all those who just need a computer should leave (the only issue is a national IT structure that is about to collapse).
They also put themselves at a much higher risk of getting quarantined (I have colleagues elsewhere who are quarantined already).
But death numbers are still very low in Germany, so that may blur their vision... and someone has to get us to "herd immunity", right?
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 22:55   #79
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

I don't know why they couldn't close schools tomorrow instead of Friday feel sorry for the kids revising for exams and of course teachers my brother is a teacher so it be hard for him.

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 00:14   #80
Sancho
BF Supporter 2020

Yes Euan, strange to delay the closure and allow a few thousand more transmissions. Although I'd say classes will be pretty empty tomorrow!
I'm trying to get used to this 'remote teaching' lark. God it us SO boring, staring at a screen all day, compared to a real live classroom with real-live students!

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 00:37   #81
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Cool Expert advice on isolation from Astronauts !

https://www.space.com/astronaut-advi...JceepgRQOAUknI

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 08:01   #82
LowellMills
Is this your Sanderling?

I think the UK Gov is starting to take the social distancing seriously but it is doing so too late and without a proper Test>Contact Trace>Isolate policy in place it will be very inefficient and met with more public non-compliance.

My partner is only 32 and at the top of her game but had half a lung taken out last year after repeated collapses, so we have gone to extremes to distance ourselves in case the pneumonia or other elements of coronavirus would prove fatal.

Since yday (18th) we're only going out in public between 3am and 6am, we have a detergent shoe-bath by the front door for when we get back, and we're not seeing anyone at all in person. I was already working from home and she has negotiated the same. It's going to do a number on our birding, surveying and nest finding but thankfully we have a window view of gardens and a large hedgerow plus oystercatchers nesting on the roof over the road. Never been a better time to work on the window list.
Latest British life #234 Eastern yellow wagtail (Prestwick Carr, Northumberland, 07/02/20)
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 09:46   #83
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
Yes Euan, strange to delay the closure and allow a few thousand more transmissions. Although I'd say classes will be pretty empty tomorrow!
I'm trying to get used to this 'remote teaching' lark. God it us SO boring, staring at a screen all day, compared to a real live classroom with real-live students!
Sancho, I can't say that I'm fully on board with the logic of shutting schools down. If that results in more time with grandparents (child minding) while they still keep up with other kid centric activities - socializing, dragged along to supermarkets/shopping malls etc, then I think the risk for exposure and then transmission is even greater.

Supermarkets here have started a seniors 'happy hour' first thing in the morning - and they're lined up cheek by Jowl out the door (and I suspect hogging all the dunny paper too now since I'm 0 from 9 attempts as of tonight).

There is no way the ordinary public is keeping 2m distant from one another in those food places ..... and I imagine were they to be shut down the panic would really set in ......

Chosun

Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 13:01   #84
Deb Burhinus

Just had some worrying news

My best friend (who is much older than me) and in a supported housing unit is now in lockdown. 2 people living in appartments on the same floor as her were taken to hospital yesterday and now tested positive for C19. The care manager was organising a deep clean of all the communal areas as we spoke on the phone. My friend is the youngest one living there, the majority are much older and very frail. They are all confined to their flats and awaiting tests.

I’m also becoming increasingly concerned for my 89 year old Mum living on her on and self-isolating in central London.

I think as this touches us with more and more proximities, as it hits family and friends, it becomes increasingly obvious this is an existential crisis in all our lives.

On a lighter note: a word of warning from the Los Angeles Times that its probably not the best time to binge watch ‘The Walking Dead’ as a coping strategy

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...h-overwhelming

(although I must confess to having watched Contagion a few weeks ago!
http://www.osme.org

Last edited by Deb Burhinus : Thursday 19th March 2020 at 14:38. Reason: add link
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 15:55   #85
fugl
Forum Member

Some curves. New cases on the rise in almost all of the listed European countries (the big exception being Denmark), a mixed bag elsewhere in the world. Steep rise in the US (there’s now been at least one case in all 50 states) and like others who are in a position to do so, I’ve not been leaving the house except for walks in a (very uncrowded) local park.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e=articleShare

Edit
Here’s a map of the current US incidence by state—

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e=articleShare

I live in Oregon—the least populous by far of the West Coast states—and have to to admit that I find the comparatively high number of cases here a bit personally concerning.

Last edited by fugl : Thursday 19th March 2020 at 16:36.
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 19:47   #86
Deb Burhinus

Oh dear hope Amazon Prime or Netflix don’t end up suspending streaming completely as more and more businesses/shops look to close, that will make enforced isolation even harder for those living alone with no TV!

“Netflix will reduce the video quality on its service in Europe for the next 30 days, to reduce the strain on internet service providers.
Demand for streaming has increased because large parts of Europe are self-isolating at home due to the coronavirus outbreak.
The video-streaming provider said lowering the picture quality would reduce Netflix data consumption by 25%.“
http://www.osme.org
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 20:05   #87
dantheman
Bah humbug

We went into town today (maybe the last time for a while) - various places including The Natural Store (pretty rammed, warm and humid - quick exit there!), Wilkinsons, Tragos (general budgetty department place) etc.

Town was pretty busy, loads of old people getting in the way etc. Saw one person with a mask.

Loads of toilet paper in Trago's, didn't go into anywhere else that may sell it.

Anyway, stocked up on seeds and gardening sundries for the season, and bought a dartboard!
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 20:11   #88
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
I can't say that I'm fully on board with the logic of shutting schools down. If that results in more time with grandparents (child minding) while they still keep up with other kid centric activities - socializing, dragged along to supermarkets/shopping malls etc, then I think the risk for exposure and then transmission is even greater.
That's the thing. Nothing is really joined up. If there was a really firm declaration that older/vulnerable people should be shielded/protected then fine - ie make it nigh on illegal for them to look after the grandkids ... (but how would that be enforced/systems put in place to ameliorate?)

It looks like the government has been 'forced' into closing schools by public opinion (and possibly the WHO etc too). I'm sure it makes some sense but it's all a bit vague.
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 21:14   #89
Sancho
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
That's the thing. Nothing is really joined up. If there was a really firm declaration that older/vulnerable people should be shielded/protected then fine - ie make it nigh on illegal for them to look after the grandkids ... (but how would that be enforced/systems put in place to ameliorate?)

It looks like the government has been 'forced' into closing schools by public opinion (and possibly the WHO etc too). I'm sure it makes some sense but it's all a bit vague.
Damned either way, really. I´d much rather be back in my classroom, rather than spending seven hours a day sat in front of a laptop, I miss the interaction with the students. But to protect them and their families, putting them into classrooms in groups of up to thirty, for a whole school day, had to be stopped. We´re all vectors of this thing. If they transmit the infection among themselves, it will certainly be taken home to all their families.
I don´t know how society can manage this - Grandparents obviously
shouldn´t be caring for the grandkids. Meanwhile here in Ireland, cases are beginning to rocket, and the median age is 43. The percentage of cases in the 35-44 age group is the same as that of the 55-64 group. So "old persons´illness" doesn´t really apply, depending on your age perspective. Also, clusters emerging among our healthcare workers. The hit to the economy in three days has been worse than that of the banking crisis over six months. ten years ago. Apart from the misery all of this creates in the "developed" world, it´s really going to impact on the low-paid workers in"low-cost" countries that work in the factories, etc. supplying the likes of Primark, M&S, etc. Workers there and their families are going to suffer a hell of a lot more than us.

Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 22:56   #90
fugl
Forum Member

3 rules for managing the virus in the US—

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/o...e=articleShare
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 23:07   #91
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellMills View Post
Since yday (18th) we're only going out in public between 3am and 6am, we have a detergent shoe-bath by the front door for when we get back, and we're not seeing anyone at all in person.
Was that off your own bat, or do you have evidence that shoe carriage of the virus is a real risk? How are you getting food?
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 23:21   #92
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Was that off your own bat, or do you have evidence that shoe carriage of the virus is a real risk? How are you getting food?
Not answering that question, but if you want to minimise all risks if you think you are in a vulerable situation then it may be worth taking (what seem like) extreme measures.

Tiny risks multiply up over time - negligible factors become more if this goes on for 2, 4 or 18 months. The understanding of how long the virus persists on surfaces is poorly understood. And transfer between surfaces.

Misting a weak bleach spray on shopping may also make sense.

And refrain from licking your shoes.
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 23:33   #93
Sancho
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
And refrain from licking your shoes.
And if you do, there are probably other online communities you should migrate to

Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 23:49   #94
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Steady ...
Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 01:41   #95
fugl
Forum Member

Aargh, that irresponsible moron is now urging people to buy malaria medicine for the virus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/h...e=articleShare
Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 02:02   #96
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs down Fighting Pandemics with F-35's ..... ?

A group of 130 lawmakers (both Democrat and Republican) have called for purchasing more F-35 Fighter Jets ...... smfh

https://themindunleashed.com/2020/03...KbZSlITJJi5gU0

Chosun

Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 07:12   #97
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

I knew it was happening but I actually felt quite sad on Facebook with lot of posts from pubs saying they are closing including my local.

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 11:35   #98
LowellMills
Is this your Sanderling?

Quote:
Just precautionary generic barrier-nursing/isolation/biosecurity whatever you want to call it. Because knowledge of how long and how far the virus can be carried on footwear is limited, and we live right by a hospital with lung ward.

Did two decent food shops in run-up to our lock-down. We haven't needed more food yet but we will get grocery delivery, booked well in advance.
Latest British life #234 Eastern yellow wagtail (Prestwick Carr, Northumberland, 07/02/20)
Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 19:37   #99
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Snowflakes don't look.
https://youtu.be/Hks6Nq7g6P4
Fabulous. I even learned a new word, "munted". (I also don't get the "snowflake" reference)

Quote:
Originally Posted by opisska View Post
Depending on the location (thus depending on the testing and population age structure) the of infected people that need at least supplemental oxygen at some point during the disease seems to reach 10 percent, somewhere even more.
Everyone who likes to paint pictures of doom that justify authoritarian measures seems to miss the fact that all percentages like this are wildly inflated due to lack of testing. In reality this is a percentage not of "infected people" but of people who have tested positive for C19, for each of whom there are probably 10-100 others infected, some already recovered, most not doing too badly. (Now if we only knew who was going to need special protection beyond the obvious elderly etc, this would allow a smarter approach entirely...)

Last edited by tenex : Saturday 21st March 2020 at 19:59.
Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 20:06   #100
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
Everyone who likes to paint pictures of doom that justify authoritarian measures seems to miss the fact that all percentages like this are wildly inflated due to lack of testing. In reality this is a percentage not of "infected people" but of people who have tested positive for C19, for each of whom there are probably 10-100 others infected, most not doing too badly.
Absolutely. There are also those out in the broader population who have been infected, already recovered, and thus from what we think we know so far, not likely to be re-infected, nor be able to infect anyone else. Some had even presented to Dr.'s practices etc, but were denied a COVID-19 test because they were outside of the very narrow parameters for testing (in this country it was initially overseas travel, or direct contact with an infected person) and/or not exhibiting all the (4 at least) major symptoms by the time they got to see a Dr.

Further compounding the 10-100 figure you suggested (or whatever it turns out to be) is the multiplier of those fully exposed to the virus but who did not get infected for whatever natural reason.

Chosun

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: