Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

How is the COVID virus affecting you?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 06:29   #76
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
There are video games, tv box sets, online exercise routines and Skype, you could even do some reading.

Stay safe all and be sensible.
Totally agree and also Garden Birding.

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 07:04   #77
andyadcock

Trump the genius

Lightening the mood a little, sorry about the format, it was a jpeg for some reason?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trump.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	722045  
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 07:05   #78
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
... There are ... online exercise routines ....
That sounds good, sit at your computer and watch other people exercise

A bit like the remark "I enjoy work, I can sit and watch it for hours"
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 08:48   #79
andyadcock

This is horrendous.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52014023
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 09:47   #80
opisska
Jan Ebr

Quote:
Wow. BBC is still considered real news, right? So this should be genuine? (I can imagine some formerly respected outlets in Czech putting this out while being complete bullshit, but not the BBC).
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 09:50   #81
Kits
Social Media Editor
BF Supporter 2020

Wood anemones are out here, Lee. I put a picture in the Gallery just yesterday.

"Sail away from safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 10:54   #82
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by opisska View Post
Wow. BBC is still considered real news, right? So this should be genuine? (I can imagine some formerly respected outlets in Czech putting this out while being complete bullshit, but not the BBC).
The source of this "complete bullshit" is the Minister of Defence herself - here in the English version of the best Spanish newspaper:
https://english.elpais.com/society/2...ior-homes.html
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 11:01   #83
Steve

I shall delete the offending posts we will rewind and start again.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 12:55   #84
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
Make your own hand gel.
Buy methylated spirit/ethanol from DIY store. Glycerol or glycerol based aloe Vera gel from pharmacy. 75% of the alcohol/25% of the glycerol.

It's perfectly effective and you'll save a fortune. I make liters at a time if I need to.

But seriously, mods, can these non-birding threads be moved.

Owen
Just ordered some of this Owen. If I spontaneously combust I’ll never forgive you

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 12:56   #85
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Now here's a Texan causing a storm by saying that old people should sacrifice themselves to save our economy:
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...e-economy.html

This is however not far from the Dutch approach: they try to convince older patients that the chance of surviving the IC unit is quite small, so if they'd be so kind to make way...?
Note that most people in the Netherlands will deny that legalised euthanasia also acts as a money-saving scheme. Only fundamentalist Christians would openly agree with that.

Last edited by Xenospiza : Tuesday 24th March 2020 at 18:04.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 13:05   #86
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Lots of people in my situation have been having similar problems like me having underlying problems in finding an early date for online delivery and lots are still having problems, but after having difficulty ordering online I was successful earlier today and I did manage to find 3 dates, days and times for 1 day for delivery for the next 3 weeks including one delivery later this week. But it was difficult and i was recommended to have food shopping delivered with online shopping but it was very difficult finding any dates.
Ian.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 13:13   #87
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

Also every football team owner who wants their season null and voided.. Brescia in Italy being the latest.. 9 times out of 10 you can guess where they sit in their league?!
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 13:16   #88
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

Quote:
Yes, thus the Government broadcast last night detailing the measures the country needs to take, going out on bbc1
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 13:27   #89
opisska
Jan Ebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenospiza View Post
The source of this "complete bullshit" is the Minister of Defence herself - here in the English version of the best Spanish newspaper:
https://english.elpais.com/society/2...ior-homes.html

I should submit my posts to a native speaker next time for clarity improvement ... my point was that in my country media happily spout things that are a complete nonsense, especially if they are this outrageous, I was just checking whether I should consider BBC extempt from this implicit doubt - expecting that the level of reliability would be well known to the majorly Brittish population here. Because this news is really heard hitting for me and I want to be sure of its validity before being depressed by it.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 13:53   #90
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by opisska;3974276[B
]I should submit my posts to a native speaker next time for clarity improvement .[/b].. my point was that in my country media happily spout things that are a complete nonsense, especially if they are this outrageous, I was just checking whether I should consider BBC extempt from this implicit doubt - expecting that the level of reliability would be well known to the majorly Brittish population here. Because this news is really heard hitting for me and I want to be sure of its validity before being depressed by it.
A good idea given your recent form, I for one took it as mockery of both myself and the BBC.

You yourself wrote in another thread after a similar 'misunderstanding''

'Well that was a misunderstanding then. Seems to happen rather often, I would chalk it up to the generational gap in language :)'
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 14:35   #91
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Quote:
my point was that in my country media happily spout things that are a complete nonsense, especially if they are this outrageous, I was just checking whether I should consider BBC extempt from this implicit doubt
I can see what you meant when I read your post again.

The BBC has its political side as well, but its news can be trusted.
British bullshit news sources are available!
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 16:15   #92
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
However, my biggest source of anxiety isn't the immediate impact of this virus, chilling as that is, but the longer-term social and economic consequences. The curse of being an historian I guess.
I agree with you completely. Perhaps it's not coincidental that I'm trained in history as well as science. It gives a sense of perspective that has been sadly lacking in this crisis. (In principle both could, but the implementation of scientific thinking more easily gets careless and limited.) By the way did you notice you wrote CORVID? A lovely slip of the finger, those being among my favorite birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenospiza View Post
Now here's a Texan causing a storm by saying that old people should sacrifice themselvs to save our economy:
Well, it's not just old people who are dying. But you can tell that New York Magazine (deep left-wing territory) is simply holding these arguments up for ridicule (lives vs a "balance sheet"), whereas it's clear that as a society in crisis we are now being presented with choices like this and must face and discuss all their consequences and admit to making them, rather than pretending that there is no choice. (This is a general problem with leftists today who not only claim the moral high ground but regard everything else as underwater.)

Quote:
I should submit my posts to a native speaker next time for clarity improvement ...
No, it's really not a problem of clarity. Your English is excellent and I always understand exactly what you meant. I think there's just a difference to your viewpoint that readers aren't always adjusting to, or at times dislike.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 16:31   #93
tenex

The "new normal"

I think the phrase "the new normal" encapsulates the problem perfectly. So many people seem willing to embrace this state of affairs, imagining that it can go on (perhaps with cycles of relaxing and tightening) for 18 months or more until a vaccine is (possibly) developed. I'm quite certain that our society and economy would not withstand that, and I don't think the entire Western world should be so casually flushed down the drain. I wouldn't ask for that to save my own life. (Correction: to possibly save my life. Half of the ICU patients die anyway, as there is no cure.)

Last edited by tenex : Tuesday 24th March 2020 at 19:13.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 17:28   #94
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
I think the phrase "the new normal" encapsulates the problem perfectly. So many people seem willing to embrace this state of affairs, imagining that it can go on (perhaps with cycles of relaxing and tightening) for 18 months or more until a vaccine is (possibly) developed. I'm quite certain that our society and economy would not withstand that, and I don't think the entire Western world should be so casually flushed down the drain. I wouldn't ask for that to save my own life.
You will have been pleased, then, to note that the hard-headed realist in the White House agrees with you, particularly with respect to the those parts of the economy from which he derives most of his personal income. Not so much, though, in sacrificing his own life (or even convenience) for the greater good, a suggestion the mere whisper of which he’d surely greet with sputtering indignation and cries of treason.

Certainly some form of triage may be necessary at some point (and is doubtless already happening on a small scale). The elderly should be the first to go, of course—they’re near the end of their lives anyway and their passing will free up much need resources to their heirs. After that, perhaps (in no particular order), the feeble-minded, the insane, the physically handicapped, drug addicts, criminals? Further along, who knows, but I’m sure the hard right would have some suggestions.

As an historian you must know where tough talk of this kind can lead. . ..

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Tuesday 24th March 2020 at 17:31.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 18:27   #95
Sancho
BF Supporter 2020

For anyone interested in the history of calamities, I'd strongly recommend Otto Friedrich's 'The End of the World'. His chapters on The Black Death, The Siege of Münster, The Cathars and Auschwitz are particularly good. Another great read is Barbara Tuchman's 'Through a Distant Mirror: The Calamitous Fourteenth Century'. (After those two, read .'Pollyanna')

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 18:40   #96
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Good grief! Think I'll just stick to the last one
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 18:43   #97
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
...(After those two, read .'Pollyanna')
then ‘Chicken Licken’ and find a healthy middle ground between the two
http://www.osme.org
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 18:54   #98
dantheman
Bah humbug

There's also Pippi Longstocking in the South Seas.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 19:06   #99
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
Good grief! Think I'll just stick to the last one
Definitely, the pick of the litter in these parlous times.

Personally, now that I'm grown-up, I've moved on to Wodehouse as my Solacer-in-Chief. . ..

"(He) was either a man of about 150 who was rather young for his years or a man of about 110 who had been aged by trouble."

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 21:59   #100
Mysticete

The sad thing is, those on the right who are so eager to open up the economy or who are not supporting social distancing are the folks who are going to drag all of this stuff out. I do actually believe we can get the current situation under control in a timely manner, but not if you have states like Florida or place like Liberty University that are thumbing there nose at suggestions and allowing Coronavirus to continue spreading. What the hell good does it do me to sit in my apartment for the next month if some idiots elsewhere are just going to keep it circulating and spread it back here.

It just makes me so ANGRY, me putting my life on hold and trying to be a responsible person, when a bunch of fratboys can hang out on a Florida beach and then return to there homes hear with the virus.
Mammal: 230 Herp: 174
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: