Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

What would you like to see on TV?

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 17:00   #1
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

What would you like to see on TV?

As the awful virus emergency is forcing everyone to spend more time at home then watching TV could become more important as a way of occupying the time and keeping sane.

But no football, no Formula One, little other sport, production companies stopping work on popular soaps and other continuing dramas, programmes hit by social distancing...………….

Will we be presented with schedules propped up by the same old repeats, films that you have seen many times before, and so on? I hope not.

What would you like to see? Personally I have never seen a single episode of Game of Thrones as I think it was on Sky, which I don't subscribe to. Yet it must have been very good as so many quiz programmes use characters etc as question material, and there are even single malt whisky brands named after it. So why can't the BBC buy it and show an episode an evening throughout the lockdown period? They must be saving enough money by not producing their normal programmes.

Any other ideas?
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 18:02   #2
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

Don’t know about your original question Steve but I had a rerun of Only Fools on in the background this morning. Where the retired jewellery dealer fakes a heart attack. Absolutely brilliant.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 20:41   #3
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

Sadly the stuff I'd like to see will probably have been wiped - given the enforced stay I would want to revisit - Four feather falls, Supercar, Fireball XL5 - the ones that that Gerry Anderson made before Thunderbirds. If the tapes still exist the how about a rerun of those very early docus that David attenborough do as part of the Zoo Quest series

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 20:50   #4
Farnboro John

The Six Million Dollar Man, Tom and Jerry, The Aeronauts. Also, something I've never seen: apparently there was a TV dramatisation made of one of the best kids books ever, "The Hundred Million Francs" by Paul Berna (published as "The Horse Without a Head" in some countries). I'd like to see what they made of that great read.

John
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 21:23   #5
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

The Goodies!
Last Garden - (95) Osprey.
Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 21:43   #6
Gill Osborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Dickinson View Post
If the tapes still exist the how about a rerun of those very early docus that David attenborough do as part of the Zoo Quest series
I recently watched some of those by downloading them on my sky box

If you have Sky press the 'tv guide' button
Scroll right to 'Catch Up TV' box
Press the blue button
Type in 'David Attenborough'

You should then get a list of his programmes which you can download for free Programmes available include Natural Curiosities, Kingdom of Plants, The Early Years, Conquest of the Skies and Zoo Quest to West Africa (1955)

Hope this helps

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 24th March 2020, 22:19   #7
Sancho
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Dickinson View Post
Sadly the stuff I'd like to see will probably have been wiped - given the enforced stay I would want to revisit - Four feather falls, Supercar, Fireball XL5 - the ones that that Gerry Anderson made before Thunderbirds. If the tapes still exist the how about a rerun of those very early docus that David attenborough do as part of the Zoo Quest series
Captain Scarlet! Any episode with Harmony Angel, my first crush! (Please ignore the fact that she was a wooden string puppet).

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 05:54   #8
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWN Andrewes View Post
The Goodies!
How on earth did I forget...The Goodies and the Beanstalk, Kitten Kong, Puppet Government (strangely topical), bring it on!

John
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 06:35   #9
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
How on earth did I forget...The Goodies and the Beanstalk, Kitten Kong, Puppet Government (strangely topical), bring it on!

John
I have The Goodies DVD Boxset just got round to rewatching them again.

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 07:20   #10
andyadcock

I find it inconceivable that 'Shameless' has never bee re-run, would that be due to syndication?
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 07:47   #11
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
The Six Million Dollar Man, Tom and Jerry,......
We've got The Bionic Woman on at the moment with the lovely Lindsay Wagner. Even Steve Austin puts in a appearance now and again. I used to love the opening sequence on The Six Million Dollar Man with the spaceship test flight and all the official sounding radio communications .... "she's breaking up she's break - - - !"*

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0CPJ-AbCsT8

My brother and I used to recreate all the bionic noises even if gravity sometimes got the better of us. My dad was a big fan too - we used to lap all the 'space'-type stuff up. It was a long delayed rerun even back then when I was growing up - now that it's ~30-40-50 years down the track I still think they hold up well - maybe it's nostalgia lol ! I still absolutely love the theme music :)

My dad used to absolutely love Tom & Jerry - laughing his head off so hard he sometimes seemed almost unable to breathe ! My favourite memory of the show was how much I used to really enjoy seeing my dad laugh uncontrollably and laughing along with him

* According to the Wiki article on Lifting Bodies .....
"The 1970s television program The Six Million Dollar Man used footage of a lifting body aircraft, culled from actual NASA exercises, in the show's title sequence. The scenes included an HL-10's separation from its carrier plane—a modified B-52—and an M2-F2 piloted by Bruce Peterson, crashing and tumbling violently along the Edwards dry lakebed runway. The cause of the crash was attributed to the onset of Dutch roll stemming from control instability as induced by flow separation."

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 07:52   #12
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
We've got The Bionic Woman on at the moment with the lovely Lindsay Wagner. Even Steve Austin puts in a appearance now and again. I used to love the opening sequence on The Six Million Dollar Man with the spaceship test flight and all the official sounding radio communications .... "she's breaking up she's break - - - !"*

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0CPJ-AbCsT8

My brother and I used to recreate all the bionic noises even if gravity sometimes got the better of us. My dad was a big fan too - we used to lap all the 'space'-type stuff up. It was a long delayed rerun even back then when I was growing up - now that it's ~30-40-50 years down the track I still think they hold up well - maybe it's nostalgia lol ! I still absolutely love the theme music :)

My dad used to absolutely love Tom & Jerry - laughing his head off so hard he sometimes seemed almost unable to breathe ! My favourite memory of the show was how much I used to really enjoy seeing my dad laugh uncontrollably and laughing along with him

* According to the Wiki article on Lifting Bodies .....
"The 1970s television program The Six Million Dollar Man used footage of a lifting body aircraft, culled from actual NASA exercises, in the show's title sequence. The scenes included an HL-10's separation from its carrier plane—a modified B-52—and an M2-F2 piloted by Bruce Peterson, crashing and tumbling violently along the Edwards dry lakebed runway. The cause of the crash was attributed to the onset of Dutch roll stemming from control instability as induced by flow separation."

Chosun
All of this^!

The circus baby elephant episode of Tom and Jerry is simply the funniest cartoon that's ever been made and I've worried for my own life when laughing so hard at it that I can't breathe. Just the thing for these days...

John
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 15:35   #13
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

The sacking of Cummings, and the resignation of Johnson for his failure to live up to promises to the NHS . . . not much chance of seeing this, I fear!
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 19:25   #14
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
The sacking of Cummings, and the resignation of Johnson for his failure to live up to promises to the NHS . . . not much chance of seeing this, I fear!
Words fail me.................take that ridiculous slogan down, it's done.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: